Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet 4T65E-HD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven a bunch of cars and the only two that fit what I'm looking for is the new Impala and the Forester. However, the visibility in the new Impala is poor vs what I'm used to in my current one and theres a bad glare from the dash. so I'm thinking about getting a '14/'15 Forester and I'm really liking the XT w/eyesight but I don't really like all the fiddly electronic stuff the package adds, least of all pushbutton start. I've driven an Infiniti with that feature and it just feels gimmicky and not useful. Plus, remote start distance is cut by 3/4 with it. Is eyesight something that can be dealer added later on or can the pushbutton start be gutted out later so I can use the better remote starter? I don't know why but it feels like Subaru has a really weird packaging system. Features I want not avail. on the XT Prem (AWP) and features I don't on the Touring (fiddly electonic stuff).

Thanks for the input!

PS: Yes I know it's weird to crossshop large sedans with CUVs

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Packaging might change for the 2015 model year.

I highly doubt Eyesight can easily be added on... there is quite a bit to it. Different gauge cluster, different buttons on steering wheel, and of course the large ES unit on the ceiling.

Push button start might be removable, but I honestly love it. Keyless entry is amazing. If your main concern is reduced remote starting range, get an aftermarket remote start. I think the only reason OEM remote start is reduced with push button start is because it uses the lock/unlock key fob to start rather than a dedicated remote start fob.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
629 Posts
That's an unexpected selection of dissimilar cars! You can add heated seats and mirrors aftermarket, as well as heat strips for the bottom of the windshield. I don't think you could add Eyesight in any reasonable way. I suspect the wiring harness and significant electronics are completely different in the cars with Eyesight. I live with the keyless thing in one of my cars, I don't like it because it is unresponsive often enough to be annoying when I have to dig the sensor out of my pocket and wave it around until the car notices it. If it wasn't for the upcoming enhanced Eyesight with some 2015 Subaru's, I'd get an XT-P and add aftermarket heated seats and mirrors. If you go that route, get the approach mirrors, they will have the heat pads already installed, you only need to do the wiring.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I don't like it because it is unresponsive often enough to be annoying when I have to dig the sensor out of my pocket and wave it around until the car notices it.
For what it is worth, I have never had a problem with keyless entry / key fob detection in the 8 months of ownership. Flawless system IMO.

·
Registered
2004 Chevrolet 4T65E-HD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Remote start range is a big one. I've had problems with the aftermarket remote start on this car so I was hoping to go OEM to see if that was any better, plus all the usual push-button questions/issues, such as "running to Acc", etc and the fact that push button systems don't all work alike, unlike keyed ignition does. I think I'd have to take an extended drive to make sure there's a way to actually do everything with a push-button if I go that way.

sinbad: That's what I'm worried about also. The infiniti I drove couldn't recognize the key in your pocket reliably. You had to sit it in the cubby in the center and hope you remember to remove it when you get out.

I am glad I've held off on the Forester. I knew there was a 2nd gen Eyesight out there and it's good to see that it'll be coming out on the '15. Maybe I'll hold out until they announce packaging and revisit this then. In the meantime, I have a cat to replace!

·
Registered
2014 EFJ Forester Touring CVT
82 Posts
I am glad I've held off on the Forester. I knew there was a 2nd gen Eyesight out there and it's good to see that it'll be coming out on the '15. Maybe I'll hold out until they announce packaging and revisit this then. In the meantime, I have a cat to replace!
Not so sure about this fact. My understanding is that the 2nd gen Eyesight will only be in the 2015 Outback. I don't think the Forester will be getting it. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
629 Posts
Not so sure about this fact. My understanding is that the 2nd gen Eyesight will only be in the 2015 Outback. I don't think the Forester will be getting it. :icon_frown:
It would be a shame if that proves correct, but lack of the more comprehensive EyeSight would save me $5 or $6 grand by buying an XT-Premium instead.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
...all the usual push-button questions/issues, such as "running to Acc", etc.

I am glad I've held off on the Forester. I knew there was a 2nd gen Eyesight out there and it's good to see that it'll be coming out on the '15.
To switch push button modes you hit the button without your foot on the brake to put it in acc. mode, etc. and can put your foot on the brake from any mode and press the button to start.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f155/new-eyesight-announced-279650/

The above thread certianly makes it seem as though the 2015 will get the new ES system. See post #10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts