Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Piet. I am an ex-Seffrican living in Sarasota. In Africa I always wanted a Forester, but I had to make do with a Toyota Landcruiser (great vehicle, but big and heavy), a LandRover Defender TD5 (crap, no, worse than crap) and a Pajero which was 20 years old when I sold it, and I just loved it, it was just totally reliable. I drove it right across Lesotho in one day, on roads you cannot even imagine.

I love my Forester too, I bought it brand new last year, a 2009 model, automatic (for my wife) and Pearl White, a lovely colour. It doesn't matter so much that it is automatic, because I never go off road any more anyway. In fact, Jenna probably drives the Forester more than I do.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Interesting comment on the transmission. Most would say that the automatic transmission is better for hard core off-road driving conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,846 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Thank you for the introduction. Post up a picture of your Forester so the members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About automatic transmissions for extreme off-road

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting comment on the transmission. Most would say that the automatic transmission is better for hard core off-road driving conditions.
For extreme off-road conditions, I really need a low range. I think that is available on some automatic transmissions, but it is not common. More importantly, though, I need to be able to start the car in gear, with the clutch engaged. That facility has saved my vehicle on numerous occasions. Obviously you need low range for that also.

I agree for most off-road applications, automatic is probably better. It is certainly easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts