Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Accord
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally graduating college and can afford to buy a new vehicle to fit my outdoorsman personality. I like both the Forester and OB but don't know how to decide on one. I want the best MPG possible and durability, I will be driving a lot and want my vehicle to last me a long time. I know people say the OB has less road noise and is a smoother ride on long distance drives, but does it get better MPG or less wear because of these things or is it a just a comfort thing. Part of my job will include occasional long distance drives, and if the OB will handle these much better it will affect my opinion, but right now I like the looks of the forester more and hear it accelerates better and is more fun to drive because it is lighter. But as an outdoorsman I travel many not well maintained roads, I don't plan on serious off roading or rock climbing but want to be able to tackle most mountain and river access roads with confidence, will the OB handle them as well as the Forester? And one final note are there certain years or models to look for for manuals? I want to spend 5-7K on one and durability that will last a long time, like putting 100k plus miles on it. I am not interested in luxury interiors or bells and whistles at all but only quality performance. Sorry for the lengthy post all info and advise welcomed.

·
Registered
2010 ForesterX limited
17 Posts
Hey, New two Subies,
I just ordered a 2010 Forester X Limited after driving both vehicles. Personally I did not like driving the Outback as well as the Forester. That CVT transmission did not feel right to me, so I'd drive them both then decide. I also like the visability out of the Forester. Good luck.

Thomas I

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Bear in mind that both the Foz and OB have comparable engines (actually same), and therefore, both vehicles will get similar gas mileage. Of course, gas mileage isn't an exact...IMO, ultimately, it depends on how you drive the thing.

Also, I believe the OB and foz will be able to handle the access roads you mentioned. Forester has a little bit more ground clearance and isn't as sleek, which is part of the reason that you have more road noise. Foz has more head and cargo room.

I would suggest you drive them both and get a good feel. If long-distance drives and comfort are a concern, perhaps the OB would be more to your liking. Of course, I drive a newer forester, and I have NO problems with comfort during long-distance journeys. I'm as snug as a bug.

Good luck! :smile:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
If you just want MPG, get the Outback with the CVT... but if you're like me and like a car that actually shifts and has some power, then get the H6 Outback.

But in reality, you can't go wrong with a Forester X 5mt... though the 6mt in the Outback is tempting too.
It all comes down to personal preference, like maybe you like a colour one comes in over the colour of the other.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Hey, New two Subies,
I just ordered a 2010 Forester X Limited after driving both vehicles. Personally I did not like driving the Outback as well as the Forester. That CVT transmission did not feel right to me, so I'd drive them both then decide. I also like the visability out of the Forester. Good luck.

Thomas I
Those were my two main reasons for choosing the Forester too.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Since you're looking at older models, its a bit harder to decide. IF i was buying new, I'd go with the outback. However I like the older foresters. Whichever you go with, just stay away from the nonturbo DOHC models (around the 98 model year). The outbacks had the control arm rear suspension which all subarus now have instead of the lateral link suspension the forester 98-08 had. I'd really just shop both, and just pick whatever you find a better example of. We had a ~98 and 01 outback and then the 04 forester XT, the outbacks were great for more highway use, the forester feels more "nimble" and raw and is great for around town, dirt roads, and the occasional trip.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm finally graduating college and can afford to buy a new vehicle... I want to spend 5-7K...
Can you clarify your plan for us? Does "new" mean "new to you", or...?

Thx,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts