Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in a bit of a dilemma, I thought I was dead set on a 2020 Forester touring. I had to order it and it will be here by the middle of December. Unfortunately, I got a little curious and test drove a new 2020 outback limited fully loaded. Which coincidentally has the same features as the touring Forester for about the same price. Has anybody else been through this situation, and what made you choose one over the other?

if this has already been discussed, could someone please point me in the right direction of that thread. My search results seem to be a bit lacking.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wanted the higher seating position and can't stand the look of a wagon. That being said I hear the Outback is much more stable at interstate speeds with crosswinds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted the higher seating position and can't stand the look of a wagon. That being said I hear the Outback is much more stable at interstate speeds with crosswinds.
I like the ride height too, but after measuring it, with both seats at their lowest, it’s only 2 inches in difference. 😭 I like that the outback is longer, but I like the SUV style of the Forester.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on how you want to use the vehicle - tell us more?
Well, it’s just me, myself and I. Mostly, around town, about once a month I make a 6 hour round trip to Chicago for the weekend. I would eventually like to get a roof tent for the better weather months, I’ve slept in the back of a car on longer road trips sometimes. Nothing crazy like going mudding. Maybe a few small off road trails. I like the length of the Outback, I am 6 feet tall, but I like the suv look of the forester, but don’t DISLIKE the Outback style either. 😭😭😭

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,939 Posts
@icodyonline the general rule is to never use "quote" when replying to a post right above your reply. Use a mention as I did with your user name. That alerts the member of a post reply & doesn't clutter up the thread.

Of course you can use "quote" when replying to a post farther up the thread, but you can also use a mention... @+user name.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
13,141 Posts
In my experience once new owners discover the offroad abilities of a Subie they become eager to "spread their wings" so to speak and want to take on more challenging trails. If you think you would fit this mould then go Foz; otherwise an Outback would be nice for general touring.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
25 Posts
We were in a similar dilemma and went with the Forester because of the openness of the cabin - headroom and visibility. Cargo-wise, I wish we went with the Outback because of the usable area. Our other vehicle is a TDI Sportwagen and, because of the wagon configuration, we can fit way more stuff in it than in the Forester.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
993 Posts
In 2014, when we were shopping, the 2015 Foz was in its second year of a new design, so most of the bugs had been worked out. It was a couple thousand dollars cheaper for comparable trim, and got better gas mileage with better performance with the standard engine. The new Outback was on the horizon, but not quite available, so the Foz was clearly a more advanced design, and closer to what we really wanted anyway.

Today, I would still need a compelling reason to pick the Outback because of all the new electronics, which Subaru is historically not very good at. If I really wanted one, I would wait a year. If I was on the fence, I’d buy the Forester because again, it’s a bit cheaper and a bit more fuel-efficient, and the first-year bugs have been mostly worked out. If I really wanted an Outback and couldn’t wait, I’d opt for the service contract (which I never normally do).

·
Registered
64 Posts
For us it came down to the greater visibility and smaller footprint of the Forester compared to the more upscale feel and better drive of the outback.

You can’t go wrong either way. Depends on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I might be sticking with the Forester. After watching multiple videos about the new outback screen, if you are using Apple CarPlay it only uses about a 6 inch section of the screen, where as in the Forester it uses the entire 8 inch screen. I wasn’t a huge fan of the small section where the HVAC controls are and if you really get to looking. The 11.5 inch screen... you really only get 8 inches of usable real estate. The bottom portion is the HVAC system, the very top is the scrolling bar thing and in the middle is what is really usable which is only 8 inches.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring (Blue EXT/ Black INT)
19 Posts
Hi @sharp_cheddar - I initially though the Outback had more usable space as well, but it turns out to be less than 0.4 cu. ft difference between the two., with the Forester having the advantage.

https://www.mclaughlinsubaru.com/research/outback-vs-forester.htm,
"The 2020 Outback has 32.5 cu.-ft. of trunk space and 75.7 cu.-ft. of cargo volume when the rear seats are folded. The 2020 Forester features 35.4 cu.-ft. in the trunk and a cargo capacity of 76.1 cu.-ft. with folded back seats."

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
25 Posts
That’s correct, however I avoid stacking stuff all the way up to the roof in order to maintain visibility - I tend to keep storage at or below the top of the rear seats. In that case, I’ve found that more stuff will fit behind the Outback seats because of the added depth of the cargo area. Not to mention the Outback can hold items of length better.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,778 Posts
If you don't like Auto Stop/Start and want to turn it off every time you drive, it's a lot easier in the Forester where there is a simple push button. On the new Outback you have to scroll through a menu screen from what I've read.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
750 Posts
Alex on Autos mentions that for 2020 Outback, they used some new standard to measure storage volume and that is not comparable to other vehicles’ measurements that are still using “old” way. I don’t know details but seams logical to me, 2020 is about the same size as before with similar behind rear seat volume as Forester (not smaller), just longer, slightly wider but shorter.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts