Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Premium Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

This may sound like a long winded story lacking of any reasonable logic, so please bear with me.

I used to have a 2008 Subaru Forester Premium which we loved,with the exception that it was not feasible to install a GPS because of the configuration of the dashboard, and I did not want to mount it on the windshield.

So at the end of 2011 we attempted to get a subaru forester with gps installed (I forget model name). After it was delivered to the dealer it turned out that for some reason they could not install the gps, and I decided that the whole deal was sour because they could not deliver. I had in fact given up on getting Subaru to deliver a car with luxury features.

That is when we got a Volvo XC60 with the tech package.

The Volvo Tech Package is what is now called Eyesight on the subarus.

So what I am doing here now?

My experience with the Volvo has been less than satisfactory. Plastic parts break, the spedometer sometimes does not move when its below 14 degrees outside, there was a long time when they could not figure out why the ipod integration was not working, the moonroof continued to fail to close, and Adaptive Cruise Control would sometimes turn off or would not activate.

The dealer fixed all of the repeatable issues, but I have spent alot of time waiting in dealer service waiting areas or driving loaners.

The spedometer issue is the scariest one. It has only happened a few times but it is not repeatable. I also don't understand how a computer controlled spedometer could get stuck in the cold.

I am considering getting a subaru forester with Eyesight, but the folks who have commented about it have found the same problems that I found on the Volvo. Although they seem to have better insight as to why its happening ... overloaded sensors, driving into the sun etc.

I am thinking about getting a Subaru because I have never had issues like the above on a new car with Subaru. In addition, the all time AWD is fantastic.

Here are my questions:

1) Is Subaru now capable of delivering vehicles with luxury features (nav, ipod integration, EyeSight)

2) Is it still true that Subaru internals have the high quality of workmanship I remember? Should I expect plastic parts and other mechanical items to fall apart and be unreliable like the 2012 Volvo I have now?

3) With Eyesight, can I turn off features I don't want? For example, ACC is still pretty cool, at speeds higher than 40 mph. I have seen videos and read about people complaining that the ACC on the subaru could cause the car to slow down drastically. However if you are in a situation where the car is slowing down due to congestion you should be turning off the ACC and driving with your brain.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 8 speed
113 Posts
I'll give my insight, even though I haven't received my forester yet.

I've owned 3 subarus prior (2002 wrx wagon, 2012 Outback 3.6Limited, 1998 2.5rs coupe (still own)).

Subaru and luxury DO NOT belong in the same sentence. If you want seamless bluetooth integration, and useful navigation, you'll probably be sadly disappointed. Does it work, yes, but you'll find the odd time your phone won't connect to the car's bluetooth. Navigation, well, I find all of them disappointing compared to a smart phone (ie. google maps).

The only system that remotely worked consistently is ford's sync.

Subaru mechanically, is unbeatable. Pretty much every one of their vehicles is based off the same platform, so even though the release a completely new model, it is not. The majority of the parts have been in a combination of other subaru, with the odd new tech. thrown in. Will there be small things that go wrong, probably, but that's no different than any other car. Including honda/toyota/bmw/ferrari/porsche/etc.

Subaru's are in essence, LEGO. there is so many interchangeable parts its rediculous.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
219 Posts
It seems like you don't keep your vehicles very long 3 years or so. If you want a luxury vehicle why not look into leasing a BMW X3, For the cost of a limted or touring forester you are close to the same money in an X3 that has a lot better nav option along with being able to pick and chose what you want for options.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I can't comment on eyesight, as I only have a limited w/nav. I have also never owned a luxury brand, however, I did test drive the X3 and didn't think the interior was that much different.

While the Nav could be better, I do not think the nav in the forester is as bad as everybody says. I actually use it instead of my google maps, even if google is more up to date. I have never had an issue with connecting to bluetooth, but I only have 10k miles on my first subie, so maybe I will see them down the road.

I personally think many of the interior features are really good. I think the dash and trim have a much better feel and look than most non-luxury brands (honda, gm, ford, etc).

I think the ride is decent (not the best), but also feel the AWD is worth it. I spent quite a bit of time test driving everything in the class (and price range), and am completely happy with the Forester.

As others said, there are always chances of having issues with any car.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
45 Posts
Here are my questions:

1) Is Subaru now capable of delivering vehicles with luxury features (nav, ipod integration, EyeSight)

2) Is it still true that Subaru internals have the high quality of workmanship I remember? Should I expect plastic parts and other mechanical items to fall apart and be unreliable like the 2012 Volvo I have now?

3) With Eyesight, can I turn off features I don't want? For example, ACC is still pretty cool, at speeds higher than 40 mph. I have seen videos and read about people complaining that the ACC on the subaru could cause the car to slow down drastically. However if you are in a situation where the car is slowing down due to congestion you should be turning off the ACC and driving with your brain.

Thanks

Matthew
1. Yes, the Touring models can give you all of these features. Eyesight is only available with the Touring models.

3. I was actually just reading the Eyesight manual. ACC can be disabled to use conventional cruise control. It can only be done while driving but the process is not difficult at all. There are also separate switches to turn off lane sway/departure warning and pre-collision braking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Here are my questions:

My Forester doesn't have EyeSight or nav, but, I can comment on the first two.

1) The "infotainment" bits in my Forester work as advertised, but are pretty basic compared to what you can get with other brands. This stuff isn't really luxury any more -- a Corolla can be tricked out with better equipment.

iPod integration through USB works fine with my 1st-gen iPod Touch (iOS 3). Track info shows up on the MFD (multi function display), and there are basic controls (like an iPod classic) available from the head unit, and steering wheel controls. Basic, but functional. The sound system itself (8-speaker H-K) sounds good.

Bluetooth integration works fine with my iPhone 5 (iOS 7). It pairs automatically every time, call making through the voice recognition works, and the speaker/mike setup results in clear calls. Initial setup is clunky, and there is no ability to upload contacts into the head unit automatically. It has to be done one at a time (this might be an iOS limitation). If multiple phones are paired, you have to select which one is active by diving deep into the setup menus -- this sucks, but it can be done fairly fast with the voice controls. There have been reports of pairing problems with certain Android phones. YMMV.

Bluetooth audio works for me, but the controls are primitive. It's not as nice as iPod integration, and that's pretty spartan to begin with.

Turn-by-turn navigation with Apple maps works fine over the Bluetooth connection, as does Siri, and probably other audio streaming apps. I prefer phone-based nav, so getting the upgraded audio with the non-nav head unit (a choice offered in Canada) was a plus for me.

I don't have any experience with the touch-screen head unit with nav. Opinions seem to vary from "it completely sucks", to "it works pretty well". No-one is ecstatic about it. The smart thing that Subaru did was keep a standard double-DIN hole in the console for the radio. The aftermarket units slide right in if you want something better.

2) I still believe Subaru is holding true to it's engineering-first philosophy. The '14 Foresters are a brand-new model with a bunch of brand new components so the jury is still out how well everything will last over time. I decided to risk it, as the drivetrain and suspension in the '14 XT are excellent. If they fall apart after three years, that will be sad, but it will be a good three years at least.

The interior is nicely improved overall versus my '04 WRX, with the occasional hard plastic piece, or ill-fitting panel just to remind you that you are indeed still driving a Subaru. Functional, not flashy. The interior is quiet, visibility is great, and it's comfortable and roomy for everyone inside. Some people don't like the seats -- keep that in mind if you test drive one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts