Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just joined this site. Have always had four wheel drives, Landcruisers and Pathfinders but never a Forester, however find myself need to take the forester to Moreton Island in Queensland. I have bot a more solid sumpguard from Subxtreme and fitted it but am worries the Forester wont be 4wd enough to handle Moreton. It is a Forester x 2007, auto. Can anyone tell me what to expect? will it cut the mustart over there...?

Appreciate you help.

Regards ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi ben

Answer is, it depends.

I,ve had my '98 auto over there - last xmas. Barge landed at high tide, sea lapping at bottom of sand patch (tangalooma) and it purred up beach no worries.
However, did get bogged about 2km inland on Tangalooma bypass(goes behind resort) on deep rutted uphill stretch - had to get snatched out, but did u-turn and drove back to beach no probs.

Couple of points >had subextreme metal sump guard fitted - definately needed. > bought light snatch kit with lower rated strap and equaliser strap - recommended to avoid chassis damage during snatch. > 10yr old suspension defo a bit saggy.

Summary: If you want to hit the deep inland stuff up north maybe not; on inland tracks near resort, your 07 should be ok(bit higher I think); on beach no probs atall.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
11,977 Posts
^ ditto - you should be OK. I was there earlier this year and had no problems (but I'm lifted of course). The auto will do well in the sand. Are you travelling with another vehicle or two? If so, even better.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Weelz and Kevin

Thanks Weelz and Kevin,

Appreciate your time and experience. Sounds like I will be fine for Drop off and in and around Kooringal, but may struggle if I venture further a feild. Longer term will look to get the 1" jackson Rally strut blocks and some raised king springs for a bit more clearance. Thanks alot for you time.

Cheers ben

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lift

Actually would also appreciate your views on the best way to get some more clearance for my 2007 forester x auto. Are struct blocks and raised springs the way to go..?

·
Administrator
11,977 Posts
Yes.

If you can get strut blocks easily, then try them first as they will leave the ride etc the same.

If you want to go higher and stronger then go for raised heavy duty springs. It really depends what you want to do with the car as to how heavy you go with the suspension mods, e.g. do you want to carry heavy loads as well as go offroad; do you want to mod for just sand driving or "all terrain" etc?

What are you likely to do with the car?

·
Registered
2007 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well having seen your Subi, and having read a bit on this site I am thinking I will not buy a 4wd (i.e. prado, landcruiser I am used to) but rather spend some cash and do up the Subi. In which case I would like it to eventually have the ability to go anywhere. So if this means a raise (yep for trips it will be fully loaded, water, fuel, toys etc) a bull bar for lights, flag, CD/VHF mast, two spare wheels on roof or rear mounted, Diff lock switch (can you have on forester?), in short happy to spen about $5k or more over time to get it up full on 4wd status. Is this a doable, realistic project...?

·
Administrator
11,977 Posts
, Diff lock switch (can you have on forester?),

YES, lock up the torque converter.

in short happy to spen about $5k or more over time to get it up full on 4wd status. Is this a doable, realistic project...?
Should be OK - but if things break (and they will) it will have an ongoing cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
moreton is an awesome place for 4wding you should be fine in the forester
just dont stop in the soft stuff lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts