Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I was hoping for some guidance here, please -

I recently had my head gaskets replaced on my 2002 Forester. Everything seemed to be working just fine, but recently (at ~1500 miles) my oil light is turning on/flickering at lower speeds. It usually turns off when I get up to ~55 mph, but will occasionally flicker at this speed too. There aren't any other noticeable issues besides the light turning on/off intermittently.

Is my pump bad? Is it possibly a bad sensor?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,123 Posts
@subgenius Assuming you checked the oil level and that's fine?

Pressure sensor or oil pump are good thoughts. I don't know the behavior of a failing sensor, whether it fails 'open' or 'closed' in terms of the signal.

Maybe a cracked oil pickup?

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
I've found on my '99 that my oil dip stick (DS) reads very high. To get a good reading I measure at gas station pulling DS out before I fill the tank and setting aside - in those 4 minutes of filling the gas tank the warm oil must drain out of the bent tube and I get an accurate oil reading (after the gas fill) that is always lower than first thing in the morning reading.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the suggestions!

turns out oil is leaking from where the sensor is attached. I'm going to purchase a new one and see if that takes care of it

I'll keep the thread updated

appreciate ya

1 - 4 of 4 Posts