Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went today with a forum member who has an FXT to windrock (coal creek ohv) and took a bunch of pictures.

This thread is dedicated to some of the ones I took (and probably some he took to be posted down the road).

The FXT did quite well and on the stuff we did, had little clearance trouble. Even a couple of the steeper slick hills didnt seem to phase the FXT. I was in my Wrangler and made sure not to do anything too hard core where the FXT simply couldnt clear some of the obstacles.

You will also see a few pictures of other random jeeps or 4wheelers in the thread as well.
Enjoy

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
damn it, i was in knoxville this past thursday! i gotta hit you up next time i'm in town. now that i know there are places at windrock for a foz to have fun it, i feel a lot better about taking it there. what tires was he using?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn it, i was in knoxville this past thursday! i gotta hit you up next time i'm in town. now that i know there are places at windrock for a foz to have fun it, i feel a lot better about taking it there. what tires was he using?
I am sure he will post what he had. I think they were General AT Grabbers or something. They had a pretty good trail tread on them.

There are plenty of places the Foz can go up at Windrock. You just have to know the trails enough to know what it can and cant do. Another 1.5 or 2" of clearance would do the Forester well up there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do it! This was my first time taking the FXT offroad (well real offroading at least) and was VERY impressed with how capable it was. I am down for going to Windrock pretty much any weekend that I have a support/rescue vehicle to go with with!

The tires are General Grabber at2 a bit oversized 215/70/17's I believe...I can't remember if they are 205 or 215, I'll look when I get home. I'll post a few more pics when I get home as well.

Thanks for all the great action shots Seth, I can't wait for next time. It was 30 minutes on the dot from the parking area to my driveway btw. I want to stay until I run out of fuel next time though :woohoo:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Where is the video of that hill I went up?

What did the other half say about the mud and/or pictures?
On my PC at home. I'll update the thread when I get off work. Seeing you climb it on video though makes it look not so hard :) It made me wish I would have done it with you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my PC at home. I'll update the thread when I get off work. Seeing you climb it on video though makes it look not so hard :) It made me wish I would have done it with you.

I dont know if the Forester would do it or not because of the ruts and clearance part. It wasnt like that 6 months ago. Before it was just muddy with no ruts. Hopefully they bring the dozer in and clean that hill up soon.

I know I had some banging around underneath on the hill. It is slick, but the ruts being so deep don't help. I think if the FXT ended up in one of the two deep ones, it wouldnt climb.

I tried to stay in one that wasn't too deep, but there are some new rocks being uncovered on that hill that I am hitting that I didnt notice before. I dont get hung up on them, but you can definitely hear them when they hit under the Jeep.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alright here are some of my pics...

my current wallpaper :biggrin:

Fozzy is having a peaceful time beside the water before the chaos begins again

I thought driving down a creek bed was really cool!

same creek, with the door open...Forester represent!

It is real picturesque up there. Its so cool living so close to so much beauty, and fun.

Look at all those trails; and that's jsut a drop in the bucket as Windrock is on 72,000 acres!

Time to climb...you can't really tell in the pic but there are 3 shelves on the way up that hill. The Forester scraped pretty hard on the first, but cleared the second two without a problem.

This is what the rockcrawler guys do...those are huge boulders all the way to the bottom of the hill.

Almost dirty enough...just a little bit more fun needed to complete the new paint job :woohoo:

I could not hang with Seth on something that deep :icon_frown:

The bottom of Mud Hill, I didn't do that either...next time I will though :Banane08:

Back at home in my driveway...the WRX has never looked so clean!

Thats it for me! Anyone on the forum that ever wants to do Windrock I am down! I had a blast and can't wait to do it again...I have a newfound respect for the Forester now :Banane08:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
great pictures!

Video??

I am hoping they scrape mud hill to get rid of some of those ruts. two of them are at least 2 feet deep and they are hard to stay out of. There are a couple smaller ones I aim for, but sometimes the bigger ones just suck the jeep into them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good videos!

I should have tried it in 2wd. That would have made it interesting. I dont think I would have made it in 2wd that day because it was pretty slick, but just to see how far I could get.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
44 Participants
koretex
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing