Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Volvo 850 T-5
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am hopefully buying a 2004 Forester X in a week or so. I am curious; just what are these things capable of off-road? I have seen photos and videos on this forum of some pretty rough and messy terrain. I was just wondering if these can take some deep mud, rutted roads and bumps off road well or if you need to do a lot of mods and/or maintenance? I just want to make sure I don't go anywhere that will jeopardize the condition of the Forester.

-Thanks

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Capable of quite a bit. But don't bite off more than you can chew. When in doubt, don't. I see people taking their fozzies to the limit and getting stuck. Sand and mud are two very different beasts.

Check out some of the off-road fozzie vids and pics in the "off-road fozzies" section. Apropos. Surf and ye shall find. All of the vids are awesome.

My .02-- If you're doing any off-roading, you need two basic necessities-- good tires and front and rear skid plates. Okay, technically that's six things. That should hold you unless you plan on doing any boulder hopping. Happy trails.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
That 2009 missed some of the most important things. Correct tires.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
While the Forester is quite capable off-road, I keep the following in mind: the Forester is based on a car frame, heavy duty 4x4s are based upon truck frames. This helps me quickly decide when I can drive and when I should park and walk.

+1000 on the skid plates.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
It depends how experienced you are driving offroad. Tires play a big part in how well it will do in any given condition. There are NOT many tires that fit the forester that will do all that well in mud. Also the front and rear overhangs are pretty large, so quick elevation changes can be a bit difficult.

They're great for service roads and the like, but not for any sort of hardcore offroad (at least not stock).

·
Registered
2009 Impreza
92 Posts
i have heard plenty of good things about those geolanders for reasonable off road use

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Just fitted a set of A/T-S GO12 Geolandars to mine. Very happy with them so far.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Here is how just regular, balding OEM Geolanders (the ones that come with the car) perform off road. Rubbish really, but shows how capable the car still is, even with crap tires.....

(and yes, the fronts are VERY bald)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Amazing what the stock G900s can do though they do work better with a little more tread on them. Reckon it's about time for a new set of tires! :biggrin:

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as easily adjustable struts that will fit a Forester that are not $$$?

I had Rancho RS9000s on both 4x4 Toyota pickup and 4x4 Chevy Suburban and those things were awesome! Sometimes you have to have speed to get over obstacles and turning those up to 4 or 5/5 instead of normal, softer 2 or 3 setting was awesome on rough stuff (but then the tires probably took more of a beating).

edit: some of those youtube videos show how "bouncy" the forester is attempting to go over rocks. what goes up must come down, and that's when you bash things badly.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
740 Posts
on turbos only 16" would fit right?

or are there any 15" wheels that clear the turbo brake setup!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts