Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All !

Ok folks, I'm new here but have been lurking as a guest for a while now. I am considering very similar car choices to a gentleman that started a comparison thread, except I NEED the XT model. '07-09 Mazda3 S Hatchback, OR the '04-'06 Forester XT in 5spd. I know they're very different, but both offer some of what I want.

-My background: 28 Years old, Technician @ GE Energy Headquarters. No kids, long- term girlfriend.
-Cars Owned: ~13 cars in the past 10 years, almost all were "fun". (7 SR20 powered cars, 2 RX-7's, Built block Mazdaspeed Protege, etc..) I drive for fun...

I love the WRX and STI, but hate the stigma that goes along with owning them, as well as the insane insurance costs. I need a more adult but still "cool" car, and it MUST be fun to drive. Enter the Forester XT. Low-key, quick, cheap insurance, safe, AWD (I snowboard) cheap and effective mods available. If I got the Forester XT, I would have to immediately swap in the STI strut/spring set to lower it down a bunch. I simply will not drive a Forester XT at stock height, haha. Soon after, I would go Stage 2 and call it quits right there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duderotomy: Yes, yes I have. Lots of fun has been had, as well as tickets....hahaha. Thanks !

Tuned200: I've been a SR20-Forum member for maybe 9 years or so, under the name "Hondaeat-r". <---- Those are the type of names you make when you're 19 and have a stupid fast B13 Se-R. I love that Forum, always will.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ! I'm having a hard time finding one with a price that I'm willing to pay, with decent mileage....

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,739 Posts
I spent over a year looking for a low mile '04 XT. Lots of dead ends & missed some killer deals. :frown: I really like the styling of the earlier model XT... perhaps that's why I still like our highly MODded '03 X a bit better. I finally settled on a low mile '07 FSXT. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Welcome.

I would go Stage 2 and call it quits right there.
That's pretty funny. I bet $10 that will not happen. :icon_razz:
Honestly, if I were to not touch the stock turbo, I'd consider just keeping the stock downpipe on there -- drivability is better than at Stage 2 IMO.

Stan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm waayyy too impatient to wait that long. I sold my 260hp Mazdaspeed Protege about a week ago, and in the meanwhile I've been driving my winter truck: A 1986 Toyota Pick-up, 4 cylinder automatic..... As you may have guessed, I'm having a bit of trouble passing people and merging, whereas before all I had to do was feather the throttle.

My unwillingness to drive a 4eat is complicating the search in a bad way....but I'm sorry, I'm just never driving an auto unless I get knee surgery or something.

The '06 + FXT models are out of my price range, at least what I'm willing to pay. I'm cheap, and that doesn't help my search.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome.

That's pretty funny. I bet $10 that will not happen. :icon_razz:
Honestly, if I were to not touch the stock turbo, I'd consider just keeping the stock downpipe on there -- drivability is better than at Stage 2 IMO.

Stan

Hahahha, I was waiting for that. Really though, I would just want to extract some power out of the crappy stock tune that every turbo car comes with.

Why do you say the driveability is better with a stock downpipe and stock turbo ? My plans were, Cobb AP, up-pipe, downpipe, STI suspension. What would you suggest ?

·
Administrator
38,739 Posts
Many here thought I was wasting my money getting a dyno protune on a stock XT, but what I got was well worth the money. If you haven't read my COBB Tuning Surgeline dyno protune post, you can view it here. What you need to look at is the "torque" & not the hp. I'm running Stage 1 & I'm very happy with the Forester as it sits... that's not saying the MODding is over. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure you made some good #'s from leaning out the tune and maybe adding some timing. The thing is, you can really reduce the stress on a turbo by allowing it to flow better, on intake and exhaust sides, by opening up the turbine side with a nice downpipe. I know my old Mazda isn't a Subaru, but I made 38hp and 36tq just from adding a turbo back exhaust and VERY conservative tune to it. The stock afr/fuel ratio in boost was ~10.2:1. I tuned it myself to run 11.5 in boost, and the thing was like a rocket afterwards when combined with the 3" TBE.

I would NEVER doubt someone making big power by tuning a stock turbocharged car, as the Manufacturer always "dumbs" them down big time (rich on fuel, retarded timing). Well played man.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Extracting power out of a stock turbo is cool, I understand that. Reality is though on this car the stock turbo is way, waaaay too small for the engine.

If you are planning on going Stage 2, you'll be $600 (or less) away from an STi turbo/TMIC. You will get a much smoother powerband, better mileage and more power.

I shouldn't put down Stage 2 setups -- they are a nice bump in power from stock, but it just wasn't enough for me for the amount of money I spent on it.

Stan

·
Administrator
38,739 Posts
I still have plans for an upgraded turbo, down pipe & of course another dyno protune. Still, not a challenging (fun) as starting from a N/A engine, as my son & I are working on now. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stan: I agree that the td04 snail is too small for a 2.5, as was my GT2554 that came stock on the Mazdaspeed.
I never really thought about it but, considering how readily available STI parts ARE, it would make sense to just go that route.

So quick summary: STI turbo= $350 ?
STI top mount= $250-300 ?
STI ECU= $ ?

It seems like $1,000 will get me there, to STI territory. :0) Super. Another $300 for some WRX/STI suspension. Wow, I'm liking the sound of this.

2.5x: Awesome that you get to build a car w/ your son, especially with brand loyalty...that's very cool.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
For EM, you could pick up a used v1 AccessPort for $200 or less, you can run the COBB OTS VF39 maps with that. Or, you can use OpenSource tools for tuning, you could even tune it yourself. You'll also need an STi BPV. But yes, STi turbo takeoff parts are pretty cheap and will get you into 280wtq territory easily -- I'm around there tuned with only 14psi target on crappy 91 octane. You won't make that power on a TD04 without pushing quite a bit more boost and generating more heat.

FXT's gearing is shorter than WRX's, that makes our cars feel pretty quick on the street, although I'd rather have the WRX gearing personally.

Stan

·
Registered
06 FXT
102 Posts
It all sounds cheap until you catch "the virus"

I'm less than 9 months into ownership and I'm exactly $4,972 into mods already :icon_biggrin: . These FXT's are alot of fun though. (coming from a former Speed3 owner) Took me 4 months to find a clean low mileage 5 speed FXT.

Good luck! Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It all sounds cheap until you catch "the virus"

I'm less than 9 months into ownership and I'm exactly $4,972 into mods already :icon_biggrin: . These FXT's are alot of fun though. (coming from a former Speed3 owner) Took me 4 months to find a clean low mileage 5 speed FXT.

Good luck! Welcome to the boards.

Hahaha, everyone says that. Yeah, seriously though, I'd be done after stage 2.

I spent $12,000 building my Mazdaspeed Protege....yes, $12,000. I'll never do anything like that again. Built block, valve job, gt28rs, PAR straight-cut 1-5th tranny, Quaife LSD, 3"TBE, Haltech EMS, 550 injectors, FMIC, etc... It was a terrible idea, but when I was done, I had an AMAZING handling car that shocked pretty much everyone that I left behind with it. I sold it two weeks ago to a 19 year old. I hope he's still alive....:tissue:

EDIT: I'm so impatient and anxious to buy, but trying to control it. How much did you pay for yours ? I found one that has an amazing maint. history (Carfax w/ all required dealer maint.+ some) 58k miles for $14k. It's just that it's the "Champagne" color....kinda whack. It's just tough because it's stick, clean, 1 owner, low mileage, great history....ugly color though... Plus he's asking too much, IMHO.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Hello All !

Ok folks, I'm new here but have been lurking as a guest for a while now. I am considering very similar car choices to a gentleman that started a comparison thread, except I NEED the XT model. '07-09 Mazda3 S Hatchback, OR the '04-'06 Forester XT in 5spd. I know they're very different, but both offer some of what I want.

-My background: 28 Years old, Technician @ GE Energy Headquarters. No kids, long- term girlfriend.
-Cars Owned: ~13 cars in the past 10 years, almost all were "fun". (7 SR20 powered cars, 2 RX-7's, Built block Mazdaspeed Protege, etc..) I drive for fun...

I love the WRX and STI, but hate the stigma that goes along with owning them, as well as the insane insurance costs. I need a more adult but still "cool" car, and it MUST be fun to drive. Enter the Forester XT. Low-key, quick, cheap insurance, safe, AWD (I snowboard) cheap and effective mods available. If I got the Forester XT, I would have to immediately swap in the STI strut/spring set to lower it down a bunch. I simply will not drive a Forester XT at stock height, haha. Soon after, I would go Stage 2 and call it quits right there.
Let me tell you directly from someone who has owned a Mazda 3 Sport GT. I really loved my Mazda. It was a great car in a 5 speed manual. I had it lowered on Eibach components and it handled like it was on rails.

Comparison sakes? Well, it never put a **** grin on my face like the go pedal in the XT does. ;) That, and I've never done so many one wheel peels in the winter with the 3. Go for the XT. I'm also lowering my XT this Saturday, and I can't wait!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me tell you directly from someone who has owned a Mazda 3 Sport GT. I really loved my Mazda. It was a great car in a 5 speed manual. I had it lowered on Eibach components and it handled like it was on rails.

Comparison sakes? Well, it never put a **** grin on my face like the go pedal in the XT does. ;) That, and I've never done so many one wheel peels in the winter with the 3. Go for the XT. I'm also lowering my XT this Saturday, and I can't wait!

Thanks for the comparison, I appreciate it. I just can't buy the Mazda knowing that somehow, it's more $$ to insure than a much more fun and useful / rare car. I'm pretty much committed to the FXT at this point. Now the trouble is finding one that's a acceptable color, good price, and 5 speed...... Yea, I snowboard all winter so, when it snows...I NEED to be able to get to the mountain. Thanks again ! :Banane35:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts