Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 2.5X Limited 2010 w/Navigation and am wondering first if it includes realtime traffic, and second, what you all think of it?
If I do buy it, it will be today, so please get back to me soon.
Mark

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT 4EAT
70 Posts
I don't have it, but Consumer Reports, did not like it at all. It was one of the only things they did not like about the forester. I have never been a fan of oem gps, I think that after market gives you more bang for your buck. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
There are lots of good reasons to go with portable vs. built-in, but if this Forester is otherwise right for you and the price is right, then it's not difficult to ignore the built-in system and spend a few extra bucks for a portable that does just what you want.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
After 5 months with my oem Nav it's been ok, usable for the most part. Aftermarket units are much better but I just wanted the built-in unit for the security aspect.
If you can get it for a good price go for it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
If I didn't get such a good deal on my '10 with nav, I would say it's not worth it compared to aftermarket built-in nav units but here's a few things the subarru nav does that you didn't know:

View mpg, average mpg, acceleration for trip A or B
Change vehicle settings that you can only do at the dealer otherwise (refer to where your manual says 'if you have a genuine subaru nav....')
Range (to empty)
Adjust graphic eq settings
See album and song titles for regular cd's (is there data on music cd's)
And probably more stuff but ive only messed with it for a few hours on short trips so.

Now I just have to figure out what wire defeats the parking sensor so we can use the damn thing while moving. Stupid!

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
just go with something aftermarket. i installed a z110bt in under an hour and its amazing!

the cash you have to drop for the nav is twice as much as aftermarket with half the features

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
If I didn't get such a good deal on my '10 with nav, I would say it's not worth it compared to aftermarket built-in nav units but here's a few things the subarru nav does that you didn't know:

View mpg, average mpg, acceleration for trip A or B
Change vehicle settings that you can only do at the dealer otherwise (refer to where your manual says 'if you have a genuine subaru nav....')
Range (to empty)
Adjust graphic eq settings
See album and song titles for regular cd's (is there data on music cd's)
And probably more stuff but ive only messed with it for a few hours on short trips so.

Now I just have to figure out what wire defeats the parking sensor so we can use the damn thing while moving. Stupid!
Yeah, you can only select "HOME" if you want to navigate while the car is moving.

In addition to the above, you can also set reminders for maintenance....such as oil changes, tire pressure, etc...

I am not sure if my '10 FXT Limited Nav unit is exactly like the non-FXT Limited models, but mine also has the integrated phone/bluetooth.

The nav does NOT do real-time traffic. And just to be clear, the maps software is not built-in the system. The maps are accessed through a DVD.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
38 Posts
Buy an aftermarket unit...

IMHO, save the Multi-Media option money and buy a [email protected]#! aftermarket GPS unit (likely for less especially if you live in the States). There is so much info on this site on "how to install", "how to select", etc a descent HU. Add the options you want, not what Subaru thinks you want.

OEM unit shows information that mankind has been able to estimate for eons.
Oil change mileage, use your B-trip; Miles to an empty fuel tank, use your fuel gauge (should never run that low on fuel anyways, especially if you live in an area that has traffic jams!); current fuel ecomony, it is what it is!

I just ordered a new Forester 2.5X Limited and it should arrive in early July. I live in Canada, so they may be waiting for the ice to break-up???
Opted to not buy the Nav package due to the price and the quality of the unit. They wanted $2000 for this option (less a $500 cash incentive) and there wasn't even a back-up camera, no mini-USB, the input between the seats was 3 RCA (Y,L,R) and an external input with a 12V power socket. What year was this designed???

·
Registered
2010 Forester
38 Posts
New 2010 Forester arrived (with standard radio)!

My new Forester arrived. Did not go with the OEM GPS, just the plan old system that comes with the car/suv. Very happy with the vehicle. Now I get to go shopping for a new HU. Going to take my time. Local dealer wanted to sell me the Sportech GPS in liu of the standard GPS unit, for the same cost of $2000. Even in Canada, Futureshop had the same unit on sale for $399 ($100 off). Not bad profit margins.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
My new Forester arrived. Did not go with the OEM GPS, just the plan old system that comes with the car/suv. Very happy with the vehicle. Now I get to go shopping for a new HU. Going to take my time. Local dealer wanted to sell me the Sportech GPS in liu of the standard GPS unit, for the same cost of $2000. Even in Canada, Futureshop had the same unit on sale for $399 ($100 off). Not bad profit margins.
Yeah, definately go aftermarket. I bought a TomTom gps unit for $89.99 on sale at Visions. The mark-up from Subaru Canada doesn't surprise me one bit. Just compare what us Canadians are paying for the Forester compared to the Americans:crazy:. Highway robbery as it's been for a few years now:Banane28:. End of rant. Enjoy the new Fozzy:Banane35:.

·
Registered
2018 Forester ∞
221 Posts
I have an after-market Navigon GPS and it came with "real time" traffic info. However, I have yet to find this feature useful, as it never provides information about slowdowns, only about highway maintenance/CalTrans work (I'm in CA).

I don't know about other brands of GPS but if I were in your situation, I'd make sure that whatever unit I bought had a useful traffic information update feature (if they do indeed exist).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts