Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just registered here, looks like a great forum.

I dropped lucky into the world of Forester's. A friend was willing to sell his Subo at a fair price and I was right in need of a 4x4. I love it. Its a 1999 Forester so a bit long in the tooth. Ive got the bug and want a better one, problem is Spain doesnt have any! So I am thinking of buying from the UK and driving it over :( , which means I will have a RHD car in a LHD country. Any better ideas greatly received!

Ok, so which one do I buy? Well it seems the best and fastest is the 2.5XT so I am very excited about that, I love powerful cars and running costs are not an issue for me.

I am wondering whether to get the AUTO though, normally I would just go straight for a manual but the auto might be real nice, can people give me their opinions? Is it a good auto box and what is the tiptronic like? I am thinking of buying a 2005/2006 model.

I want leather , other than that is there anything to go for?

Whats the sat nav like? It looks really good with that hood in the centre console ;) , but does it work well and would it work in Spain, what systems is it (cd ?)and can I put maps on it for spain etc?

Well I think thats enough questions for now. I cant wait to own a car this quick for 4 wheels to put the power down and im 36!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
72 views and not a single reply or welcome to the forum. Did I say something wrong?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hola

Welcome Steve! Man, I wish I was in Spain. I lived in Barcelona for a summer, went back for my honeymoon. Ahh, Spain.

Bueno tio, I definitely recommend the turbo for that extra oomph. I myself have a n/a engine, but that's b/c I was a scared of potential mechanical problems with the 09 turbos. As it turns out, if I had purchased the turbo instead of the n/a engine, I more than likely would have ended up with the "stop sale" turbo model. I chalk it up to fate, I guess. Next time, I'll get my turbo fix I suppose.

There is certainly nothing wrong with getting the MT, but again, I'm an AT man myself...something to do with kids in the car and so forth. But I have no qualms about the MT, fo sure. I think the only time MT and AT come into serious question is during off-roading.

Anywho, I'm not sure there are too many folks from Spain on here. Therefore, it might be difficult to get responses about the navie, loading Spain maps and such. However, everybody is super-friendly and helpful.

I reckon you didn't get too many responses b/c your question was more related to Foresters in Spain. I would repost an introduction in the New Member section. I bet you get a much better response. At any rate, welcome! :banana:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Also

Remember, subies aren't really considered 4x4 (technically) and aside from the leather, I can't think of any more stock options you should consider. I don't think you'll need the all-weather package unless you plan to be in the Pyrenees a lot.

There are plenty of mods you might want to consider. But a simple search on "mods" or "modifications" will yield a multitude of additional options related to your MY.

Rock on :rock:

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Ltd
8 Posts
I drive the regular 4 cyl and the turbo. turbo wins hands down if you like acceleration, quickness (same thing?), power heading up a hill or mountain, etc.

I bought the 2010 2.5XT Limited. It is a great car! But the stereo sucks. I got Alpine speakers and am getting a new Kenwood receiver, etc.

This car is faster 0-60 mph than my 2007 6 cyl Mustang! Visibility to the rear is great, which is a problem in Rav4, etc.

You need premium gas, but at about 20c/US gallon more, it is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
18 Posts
Turbo v Non

Hi Guys,

Just registered here, looks like a great forum.

I dropped lucky into the world of Forester's. A friend was willing to sell his Subo at a fair price and I was right in need of a 4x4. I love it. Its a 1999 Forester so a bit long in the tooth. Ive got the bug and want a better one, problem is Spain doesnt have any! So I am thinking of buying from the UK and driving it over :( , which means I will have a RHD car in a LHD country. Any better ideas greatly received!

Ok, so which one do I buy? Well it seems the best and fastest is the 2.5XT so I am very excited about that, I love powerful cars and running costs are not an issue for me.

I am wondering whether to get the AUTO though, normally I would just go straight for a manual but the auto might be real nice, can people give me their opinions? Is it a good auto box and what is the tiptronic like? I am thinking of buying a 2005/2006 model.

I want leather , other than that is there anything to go for?

Whats the sat nav like? It looks really good with that hood in the centre console ;) , but does it work well and would it work in Spain, what systems is it (cd ?)and can I put maps on it for spain etc?

Well I think thats enough questions for now. I cant wait to own a car this quick for 4 wheels to put the power down and im 36!

Cheers
Steve
I recently drove both the 2010 turbo and non-turbo and having lived in Europe would highly recommend the turbo. I plan on buying the 2.5X Premium w/All Weather Package to get the leather (seating area only) as I think it is a more durable interior. As for the options, like bumper guards, wheel opening moldings, get those later and install yourself. I'm not getting the nav package and will use my Nuvi. With the audio aux input you should be able to use your own mp3 player or sat radio. Just remember, with the turbo, there is still some lag, but that burst of power really feels good. The power seems to come in a little late in the rpm range. I drove a Neon SRT4 at the Limerock race track a few years back and turbo lag was much less. Subaru needs to drop the lag about 500 rpm for it to be just right.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 XT PPP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, can someone tell me about the sat nav installed in foresters over the years 2005-2007. Whats it like, how do you get maps on there etc

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,926 Posts
thudufushi,

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to come and visit the Europe Forum.

There are a number of guys who post from Continental Europe..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts