Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a misfire code p0303 on my 98' subaru foreseter. when this whole thing started the misfire was on cylinder 2 i replaced the fuel injector which fixed number 2's misfire(as soon as i did number 3 started misfiring immediately). since then number 3 has been misfiring. put a new injector in number 3 no change. new spark plugs all around and plug wires are fine. misfire is still on number 3.exhaust that comes out smells like gas. it shakes at idle you can feel the misfire while driving and it really decides to act up at around 35-40mph. i am running out of ideas.when i pulled cylinder 3's injector fuel sprayed out everywhere. nothing like a gasoline bath.no gas in the FPR vaccum hose. no signs of the head gasket being blown.other then a compression test i am out of ideas. any help would be great

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
Misfires are a pain aren't they. Been trying to hunt one down and it seems that ultimately it's caused by having both a lightweight flywheel combined with the lightened crank pulley.

Could be clogged or expired cats, especially if your exhaust smells rich. Could be the coil pack but less likely. Could be your forward o2 sensor. Plug wires are cheap and never a bad idea. o2 sensor is under 100 dollars- just be sure to go with an OEM Denso off rock auto.

Kick it.

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,216 Posts
Replace your A/F O2 sensor and double-check your plugs too because even though they are new they may now be fouled.

·
Registered
1999 EJ205 Forester 5MT
93 Posts
had the same issue, it could possibly be the coil pack. my CEL was flashing and it ran like crap. also it had a rubber burning smell, I assume from fuel build up in the cat. I ended up doing the wires, plugs and coil pack at the same time, so dont know which one was the culprit. im guessing the coil pack. after that everything was as smooth as butter.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L series Automatic
10 Posts
I just diagnosed the #2 misfire on my 02 Forester. After switching #2 plug wire with #4 plug wire and seeing the misfire change along with it, I inspected the suspect cable. It had a strong burnt rubber smell and I found a small pinhole in it. When I cut the boot open, I found a larger hole burnt in the inside that corresponded with the pinhole on the outside. I will be purchasing new plug wires tomorrow. Just sharing my experience. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts