Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 forester 2.5 touring CVT, Prev
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
The rear gate button above license seems dead!! Gate opens with key, and dashboard open button. Not the one on gate itself??????????????
Thanks

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,182 Posts
Hi
The rear gate button above license seems dead!! Gate opens with key, and dashboard open button. Not the one on gate itself??????????????
Thanks
Pushing that button doesn't cause the door to lift. You push the button, wait until it unlocks the gate, then lift manually.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
59 Posts
Pushing that button doesn't cause the door to lift. You push the button, wait until it unlocks the gate, then lift manually.
He's got a Limited... it's a power rear gate, and pressing the button should cause the gate to open, providing it doesn't sense a wall in the way.

EDIT: Just take it to the dealer. If when you press the button the car isn't even beeping at you, the button is dead and something needs to get fixed.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The button on the hatch should turn on the power lift gate if the hatch is unlocked, and beep in complaint and not open the hatch otherwise. Holding the button down will pop the hatch open and allow it to be opened manually.

Nothing happening whatsoever is not supposed to happen.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
The button on the hatch should turn on the power lift gate if the hatch is unlocked, and beep in complaint and not open the hatch otherwise. Holding the button down will pop the hatch open and allow it to be opened manually.

Nothing happening whatsoever is not supposed to happen.
Well, I'll be. :icon_redface:

I just tried that... and sure enough the hatch opened when I pressed the button. I've never done that, didn't know it did it that way, have always thought the outside hatch button just unlocked it and allowed it to be lifted manually. Even my take of the manual didn't make that clear to me.

Still, I probably won't do it that way... too slow opening. Manually opening it is faster, for sure, but then it can only be closed manually, whereas it can be closed by the remote, inner hatch button, or dash button if it is raised electrically. I can see uses for opening it both ways, and am glad to have an option I wasn't aware of before this thread.

Learn something every day.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Still, I probably won't do it that way... too slow opening. Manually opening it is faster, for sure, but then it can only be closed manually, whereas it can be closed by the remote, inner hatch button, or dash button if it is raised electrically. .
That is not correct either.

I regularly open the hatch manually and then use the inner hatch button to close it electronically.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
That is not correct either.

I regularly open the hatch manually and then use the inner hatch button to close it electronically.
And right you are, I just confirmed it.

All this time, since May...

This is great information for me, as I've often wanted to use the button after opening it manually.

I am reminded of times when I became aware that I'd been either pronouncing a word incorrectly or using it incorrectly, all my life until then. So happy I finally got it, and utterly chagrined at my previous ignorance. Life.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Interesting thread timing. Last night I went to load up the car and hit the power button. Gate went up about a foot and stopped. Pressed again, it closed and locked. Repeated. Hmmm... Held the button, it opened and closed manually just fine. By then I was running late for my favorite brew pub (it is a matter of priorities) so I left it.

Got home last night and finally read the manual, figured somehow the memory feature got set. That was it. My wife's been driving the car and must have pressed the memory button. Since she's not here, I'll blame her, couldn't have been me. :icon_redface:

As soon as I pressed the memory button again to disengage it, all was back to normal.

I re-read that section of than manual last night, a couple of times, and if there was a section that could stand re-writing, that would be a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Got home last night and finally read the manual, figured somehow the memory feature got set. That was it. My wife's been driving the car and must have pressed the memory button. Since she's not here, I'll blame her, couldn't have been me. :icon_redface:
That happened to me too, but I have nobody to blame but myself :icon_redface:

Startling and concerning at first until you figure out what happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts