Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outside temperature is displayed on the central display. The displayed temperature is 4-5 degrees low as compared to 3 hand held thermometers. Is there a way to re-calibrate the temperature or at least change the setting so that it reads correctly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temperatures should be correct

Are the displayed temperatures really ever correct in any car?
This misses the point. Knowing the outside temperature here in northern WV is a safety issue. Tells me something about what is happening on the roadway.

If the Subaru manufacturer provides a feature, the feature should work properly.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
This misses the point. Knowing the outside temperature here in northern WV is a safety issue. Tells me something about what is happening on the roadway.
Well, how exactly does it reading too cold make you not know what is happening on the roadway?

If your car shows 32, drive like the road may be icy. Sure, the actual temp may be 35 and there may be no ice, but I would rather drive safer than not.

Having it show a cooler temp is not a safety issue... if it was not showing cool enough of a temp, it would be.

Also note, it is not a scientific instrument... that is why they show the "roads may be icy" warning at 37 degrees.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts

If the Subaru manufacturer provides a feature, the feature should work properly.
Then you should probably sell the car.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
If it really concerns you, take it to the dealer and show them proof that its more than 2 or 3 degrees off with several other electronic thermometers in equilibrium. I still don't know that they'll do anything about it.

But really...please don't base your driving off of the temperature readout in any of your cars...

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
90 Posts
Also note, it is not a scientific instrument... that is why they show the "roads may be icy" warning at 37 degrees.[/QUOTE]

Was there ever a case of ice on the road at 37 deg. ? That warning makes me say really! every time.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Base 5-speed
827 Posts
My 2012 and 2014 Foresters always read the same as roadside bank signs and weather reports...my WRX tends to read 2-3 degrees higher. So far my experience has been that ice can be on the road at higher temps ( frozen from overnight ) or the water can stay water at or far below freezing on the roadways.
I'd just watch the road instead of an onboard gizmo.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Or perhaps temperatures are still rising after a freeze.
Yes, that is completely true.

Some people posting here expect the this to be precisely accurate. I'm sorry, but I did not buy my Forester expecting it to be a mobile weather station. It is still more accurate than a bank thermometer, so I can live with that.

The sensor is in the front bumper and has a plastic funnel to direct airflow to it while driving, so I would imagine it is more accurate while driving. I assume the OP did not test the air temp while driving.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts

·
Registered
2013 WRX Base 5-speed
827 Posts
Yes, that is completely true.

Some people posting here expect the this to be precisely accurate. I'm sorry, but I did not buy my Forester expecting it to be a mobile weather station. It is still more accurate than a bank thermometer, so I can live with that.

The sensor is in the front bumper and has a plastic funnel to direct airflow to it while driving, so I would imagine it is more accurate while driving. I assume the OP did not test the air temp while driving.

Yeah every vehical ive driven with a thermometer needed some road speed to get accurate (more) readings.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
52 Posts
Ice at higher temps.

All previously mentioned have been good points. Also, you could have ice at temperatures higher than 32 when the road is still very cold from previous temperature when a warm front moves through. I'd imagine you could have ice form on the roadway at temperatures a good amount higher than 32.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, how exactly does it reading too cold make you not know what is happening on the roadway?

If your car shows 32, drive like the road may be icy. Sure, the actual temp may be 35 and there may be no ice, but I would rather drive safer than not.

Having it show a cooler temp is not a safety issue... if it was not showing cool enough of a temp, it would be.

Also note, it is not a scientific instrument... that is why they show the "roads may be icy" warning at 37 degrees.
Mmmmmm - good point. You are absolutely correct. Thank you for setting me straight!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts