Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say that I love our Forester. Subaru has done a great design job. For example, the dirt road to our house was incredibly icy this past week. Yet the Forester in X-mode rode up the hill so easily. We were amazed!!

But there are a few small items that I wish I could change. Perhaps there is a way to change these? Comments anyone?

(1) Radio controls on the steering wheel: There is a switch to change between my pre-set stations. But I really want to have a switch on the steering wheel to scan this radio. On long trips, the preset stations can no longer be found. And I don't want to move my hand off the wheel to press the scan button. Can this switch be changed?

(2) Automatic opening rear hatch: I with it could open higher. I am 6' 2" and have hit my head twice. I have the scabs on my head to prove it.

(3) Climate control system: When the 'auto' button is pushed, the fan immediately turns on at a high speed. Can this be changed to turn on at the lowest speed?

(4) Climate control system: When the 'auto' button is pushed, the ventilation is aimed at the feet. Can this be changed to be directed at two levels - feet and body?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
1) Try using voice commands via the button on the steering wheel. Say "seek up" and it will seek up to the next channel.

2) Unless you have the memory height set, it is going up as far as possible.

3&4) The climate control is trying to get the cabin cooled or heated as quickly as possible, which is why it cranks up the fan speed. I would imagine it defaults to the foot setting in order to avoid disturbing the occupants by blasting air at them. I have not looked in detail at the owners manual about this, but it may be possible for the dealership service department to reprogram this.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
In my Limited the "Auto" setting nets me a very low fan setting until the Forester warms up enough to turn out the blue dash "engine cold" light. When that light goes off then the fan kicks up to about 80% until it starts to warm up in the cabin before it changes to a lower setting. You can always grab the center dial and twist it CCW to back the fan down but then it disengages from "Auto" mode.

As far as the heat coming out in the foot wells only, I seem to get the opposite issue. Me feet are always cold and it doesn't feel like there is ANY heat coming out down there. It seems as if all my warm air is coming out of the two outermost vents far left and far right. The two in the center of the dash don't spit out anything, and I have checked the center vents a few times they appear to be open.

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
46 Posts
1). If I remember right, you hold it for about 2 seconds and then release and it "scans". I'd have to double check though. I use my own music usually and I've done that to fast forward by holding the button up or down.

2) height issue - check to make sure you don't have the memory height button pressed. I'm 6'2" as well, and it's about eyebrow height, but considering the car is only up to my upper arm... Not too shabby.

3-4). If you play with the settings, there are ways to keep it on "auto" temp but adjust the other settings.

For everything though...Check your manual. It has a TON of info in it for these things. That's how I learned most of the cool tricks stuff will do.

Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1). If I remember right, you hold it for about 2 seconds and then release and it "scans". I'd have to double check though. I use my own music usually and I've done that to fast forward by holding the button up or down.

2) height issue - check to make sure you don't have the memory height button pressed. I'm 6'2" as well, and it's about eyebrow height, but considering the car is only up to my upper arm... Not too shabby.

3-4). If you play with the settings, there are ways to keep it on "auto" temp but adjust the other settings.

For everything though...Check your manual. It has a TON of info in it for these things. That's how I learned most of the cool tricks stuff will do.

Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you!! #1 & #2 worked & solved my problem. the rear gate does not go as high as I would like, but I have learned to duck so as not to hit my head.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts