Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Forester. It comes standard with a 13mm rsb. Am i able to fit a V7 sti 20mm rsb on the Forester or will I have to stick to bars that fit the Impreza GC8 platform.

Thanks
Adam

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
i know that 2002-04 and maybe 05 wrx rear sway will fit and i believe they are 20mm. i thought that the sti was a bit bigger, maybe 22mm

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The STi bar is 20mm, but it's too wide to fit the SF generation Foresters.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
adamsm said:
so i guess the bars that use the newer type of links will not fit.
Correct. You want a bar which will fit on the C-shaped style endlinks. I've been running an 18mm solid bar off a WRX for over 17K miles now and still thoroughly enjoy it. The handling feels quite neutral with the 19mm front and 18mm rear, though on certain roads, I wish I had gotten the 20mm :p. Regardless, any rear swaybar within the 18-20(+) region on foresters will make a noticable increase in handling and reduction of body roll.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
20mm WRX Sedan bar here, with Whiteline standard endlinks. It's a fantastic improvement.

If you want to try it in stages, get the endlinks first. Subaruwrxparts.com has them for around $50.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
one other thing:

the WRX sedan RSB changed diameters after 2002. It shrunk to 19 or 18mm. The Wagon has always been 17mm, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i just picked up a 2002 rear bar from a wrx sedan. 20mm with the bushings from a local scrap yard for 65$CDN. not bad at all ;)

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
When you do the install, do NOT put the car up on jackstands. Use ramps. You're supposed to keep the suspension loaded.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
blitzoid said:
When you do the install, do NOT put the car up on jackstands. Use ramps. You're supposed to keep the suspension loaded.
Ya, I know. I had a 2000 2.5rs that had some suspension modifications done to it. Everything under the car was whiteline....

So after the 25 minutes of wrenching I took the Fo around for a little drive. It actually sits down in the rear around a corner now; it doesn't feel as though it’s trying to spit me out the side door. It drives remarkably like my Impreza did.

What a great low budjet modification.

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
The STi rear sway fits just fine on an SF. I have '04 STi rear sways on both my '01 Forester S and '01 2.5RS. :cool:
pleiad7 said:
The STi bar is 20mm, but it's too wide to fit the SF generation Foresters.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey, I am not if you all mentioned this RSB. Is this the stock RSW or is this one better then the stock one that is on their? It says it "Will fit any 1998 -2002 Forester with a rear sway bar setup". Has anyone tried this RSB? Subarugenuineparts.com also sells the STI one and it is a 20mm too, so like Angry Toaster said, it fits the SF model fine.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=723

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2009 Fozzie XT Ltd 4EAT
553 Posts
I just put a 20mm WRX sedan rear sway on my 99L.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 20mm STI RSB on my SF forester, the place I got it from had a few 02's and an 03 JDM STIs being scrapped down, so I cant say specifically if it was from a 03 STI or bugeye 02, but it went in perfectly.
As said above, models that have the same style of endlinks will fit each other, I have in the Whiteline steel rod ones all around.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Oh well I bought the "04 WRX STI USED OEM REAR SWAY BAR SWAYBAR " from ebay, for only $20, I hope it fits.

·
Mr. July 2008
1,216 Posts
It will, I have the same one on my '01.

One thing you'll notice: On your current setup, the plastic links that connect the sway bar the rear lateral link will be on the outside of the sway bar mount point. When you install the STi sway the links will be on the inside of the mount point. I'm sure this makes no sense, but you'll understand once you see how the STi sway fits. (this has no negative affect on the sway bar geometry and works just fine)
Nachas said:
Oh well I bought the "04 WRX STI USED OEM REAR SWAY BAR SWAYBAR " from ebay, for only $20, I hope it fits.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds good, I am thinking of picking up some of those beefy "C" shaped endlinks that Kartboy makes to go with the RSB. Although I know there are less expensive options.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts