Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth it to swap in an LSD from an S model into an automatic L? I'm researching how to swap the rear drums for discs and it looks like I need to replace the rear subframe, so I figured that would be a good time to upgrade to LSD.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
All depends on what you want the LSD for and what you expect from it. Knowing those you can determine if it is worth it to you.

The factory LSD isn't anything special, can you tell it is there in the snow from a dead stop? some times, will it get you out of a jam? no.

Basically the same process for all years with few changes.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/how-drum-disc-conversion-223682/

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want it primarily for snow traction, specifically for getting out of jams so I guess that is not going to be worth it for me. The car is never going to be fast so I don't need it for performance. That how-to is very informative but are you sure the process is similar for an SF? I was told I needed to change out the rear subframe (I think you guys call it a crossmember?) in order to change to disk brakes. That write-up doesn't mention that so I'm wondering if it is different or if I got bad information.

·
Registered
2001 forester L AT
183 Posts
I just converted my open to a LSD last weekend.

There really isn't anything between the diff and converting to rear discs.

Any subaru r160 LSD will work. Swapping the ring gears/cases takes an extra hour in the process.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X Manual
56 Posts
I did a drum to disc conversion on an older Impreza, and know my way around Subarus enough to be surprised that there would be a need to change the subframe. It might be FASTER if you have an entire back end to put in the car, but not needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts