Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Rogue CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a Forester this week and wanted to get extra keys at the same time. I was quoted $130? Does that sound right?
I searched the internet and no one sells 2014 Forester keys. Does anyone sell the keys for under $130?
Another option is to order with the Subaru remote starter, about $350.

Can you order a laser key without the transponder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Sounds right. No idea if it is the same where you are, but up here the car needs the chip to run. All a non-chipped key could do would be to open the door; and even then it may set the alarm off. I have yet to find a locksmith who can make keys that are chipped.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
26 Posts
Maybe I can enter some sort of information. The cars today all have "chipped" keys, and most of them are coming out with lazer cut keys which have to have a special cutting system that most dealers do not own. I have worked for GM and am currently working for Ford (Subaru is my first choice but they just have never needed people when I have asked) Since the keys are chipped they do need to be programmed to the vehicle. If you get just an ordinary key, as some have a regular style key and it is not a chipped key then what happens is that the vehicles system reconises this and shuts the fuel system down so it cannot be stolen. At the dealer they are regulated to have people show proof of ownership including identification before they will make you a key as anyone can just get a VIN number from any car, get a key cut and be gone with your vehicle. Some keys such as the GM keys which start at around the $30 mark and up to some of the others with fobs on them in some of the other brands VW, Subaru, Ford, and so on can range from $130-$300 each not including the programming fees. Some vehicles now have push button start and are only just the FOB in order to use your car, they are also up to that same high end pricing. Losing a key is expensive, losing ALL of your keys is Catastrophic as you will then have to tow your vehicle to the dealer as they have to break into the computers in order to program your new key/fob. That is going to be an extra cost of towing as well. Point to be proven.. do not lose your keys. In my Forester I have 2 regular black chipped keys and one gray one (the gray one is only a valet key and from what I am aware of it will work in the car but gives partial power to the vehicles system) And Trainman has it right, if you use the key to open the doors the alarm will go off.. but if you start the car up it will shut that part down.

I hope this information is helpful to you and others.

Jay.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
$130? Sounds right to me. How many keys are you getting extra?

As a side note, you will still set off the alarm if you unlock the door with the key. The chip is only for the engine emobolizer. This is what happens if I unlock my Forester with the key and not use the remote.

·
Premium Member
'17 Imp Ltd wagon CVT
1,172 Posts
The new Forester's keys are not laser cut, and can be reproduced without using a chipped blank. However, as noted, the key will only open the door, setting off the alarm and not permitting engine operation.

This key is, however, far smaller and easily hidden or carried ... in case the "real" keys are accidentally locked inside the vehicle (been there, done that and was glad that key was in my wallet).

Chipped keys can be reproduced, although not all, by businesses with key-making facilities, like Lowe's, but Subarus are likely excluded. Even then the chipped key reproductions are expensive. Dealer costs are in line with the OP's, or more.

·
Registered
2003 Forester A/T
9 Posts
I'm not sure about Subaru, but for other vehicles I have had with chipped keys, I ordered off eBay and programmed myself, and took to a locksmith to have cut.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X Automatic
200 Posts
If you do find a key somewhere else, you will end up paying the dealer to program them to the car which will negate any savings. I would just bite the bullet and pay the $130. That's the way it is nowadays, the cars I work on cannot be self programmed, I highly doubt Subaru is different. There is an elaborate system to prevent unauthorized keys from being made that could start a vehicle.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I'm not sure about Subaru, but for other vehicles I have had with chipped keys, I ordered off eBay and programmed myself, and took to a locksmith to have cut.
I'm not sure about the newer Foresters, but on our Imprezas you can't program keys yourself. It was really annoying when I lived 3 hours from a dealer. I came from a GM before and they have a process for end user programming as well, but not Subaru.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Good information. I had a regular key cut by a local locksmith. It is flat and fits in my wallet nicely. It sets off the alarm if you open the door with it, but if you lock your regular key in the car it gets you in. I did this with my last car and it saved me a few times.

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
question regarding the alarm and non chipped keys, if a non chipped keys opens the door the alarm sound. dont you just put key in acc and will shut off alarm ?
ive done this with chipped key dont know if it applied to non chipped . thanks

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
question regarding the alarm and non chipped keys, if a non chipped keys opens the door the alarm sound. dont you just put key in acc and will shut off alarm ?
ive done this with chipped key dont know if it applied to non chipped . thanks
On Subarus, if the non chipped key is inserted into the ignition after setting off the alarm, it will not turn it off. If you use the programed chipped key, it will.

Just as a reference, if the chipped key is also used to manualy unlock the door, it still sets off the alarm. At least this is how it works on both my 03' Baja and 06' Forester. I've had to do that becasue the battery died in the keyless remote.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Premium CVT
26 Posts
Just as a reference, if the chipped key is also used to manualy unlock the door, it still sets off the alarm.
I discovered that last week around midnight when I inserted the "Master" key for our new Forester and the horn started blaring. Members of this forum have described the Forester's horn as "mousy" sounding. It didn't sound "mousy" when it woke up our next-door neighbor. I had no idea using the chipped key would set off the alarm. Another reason to keep rereading the owner's manual.

·
Registered
14 Outback 25 Premium 4EAT
120 Posts
I was quoted $75 for a replacement key (chipped) for an '05 OBW. I think I'll jump on it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
Ahh....mine is regular start. Hmm would they have anything to gain by not giving me one of my keys though?
Strange. If you weren't every given one, ask them. I don't think they'll remember where it is or find it. They might ask you to buy a dupe.

Check your Owner's manual pouch. Maybe it is in that.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
How many key fobs does the forester come with? I just got one fob and one valet key...is that right?
New? Two plus the valet key is pretty much normal.

Used? Whatever the original owner didn't lose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts