Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Has anyone had this problem. I have a 2003 Forester with 104000 miles-5 speed manual tran. It will not move when in gear.
This is what happens: After driving for a few hours. I will stop, go do what ever and when I start car and go again.... it will not move. Yes..hand brake is released it goes into gear smoothly. It feels like it wants to go but something is holding it back. I was told it was the cluch so I had the cluch replaced.
I still have the problem. I had it to have it towed home and the driver side wheel would not roll when it was placed on flat bed (other tires did roll) but when unloading it all the wheels moved normally. I took it to the shop and was told it was the brake hose and brakes pads were down to 25% so I opted to have them do the front brakes and new roters as will as the hoeses. When it was done I couldn't even drive out of the shop and the car did its little not moving act for me. The shop owner was there and saw what was happening so he jumped in the car and it worked for him. We went on a very long test drive.
( Honestly I started to think I was going crazy) After stopping and going several times the car didn't act up. But at a stop sign the car showed it colors and didn't move. Shop owner pushed on brakes and conculded the master cylinder was the problem. What do you think? I have been told it could be transmission, wheel baring, driveline ,a cable in the cluch......help:icon_question:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
536 Posts
Bad Center Differential?
That's what I was going to suggest, but I have never heard of this problem before. In my experience, if something like that is happening, than it will not be a come and go problem.

Does this happen if the car rolls back sightly right before you take off or have you found out how to get the issue to repeat? Maybe the hill holder if so..?

Maybe BAC5.2 will be kind enough to weigh in and give us a peek inside that welth of knowledge he has! If not, PM him and ask what his thoughts may be.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
my first guess would be hill-holder misadjusted somehow, but it seems strange only one wheel seems to have trouble moving.

i have had to replace caliper bushings once in an 89 camry due to them sticking that was noticeable on steep mountain roads, but it never kept the car from moving. i guess anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
When you refer to the drivers side wheel not turning are you referring to the front or the back? Not having a manual transmission can anyone tell us what wheel(s) does the hill-holder activate? I'm leaning in this direction too since the hill holder must be activated when the car comes to a stop regardless if there is a hill or not. Is the hill-holder cable or hydraulically activated?

Lets hope someone can tell you how to disconnect the hill-holder and check if it's sticking. It'd it be nice if all thats needed is some lubrication to free it up if it is the hill-holder.

(does your car have drum or disc rear brakes, this may help others as well)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts