Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT CVT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heya, folks..

Just trying my hand with HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography, what's better than to test it out on the Forester?

It's basically taking a picture along with an overexposed and an underexposed duplicate (requires a tripod or a steady hand), and a program (like Photoshop or Photomatix) can merge all three, taking the best parts of each. It also involves capturing the photos in the camera's RAW format, as JPEG can cut off some of the colour details with its 8-bit colours.

Edited:
Ah, Finally found out how to make a pic a link as well.. silly me.. just like HTML, but with the tags instead.. :D

Anyhow, I'm finding it brings out tons of colour and vibrance, shows anything that would be bleached out otherwise by too much or little light. I find it can almost be too surreal looking, like a cartoon or painting.. but it sure looks awesome!

All these pics are clickable now for larger formats.. too bad Flickr doesn't give any higher res...

Attached to this post is the original of one of them.. world of difference, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah.. wishful thinking...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
I don't think any of the photos needed HDR. This is typically done with large areas of extremely bright (sunset, stained glass, etc.) and large areas of extremely dark or shaded areas.

Your HDR, if you want honest critique, just look unnatural. Properly exposed would have sufficed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think any of the photos needed HDR. This is typically done with large areas of extremely bright (sunset, stained glass, etc.) and large areas of extremely dark or shaded areas.

Your HDR, if you want honest critique, just look unnatural. Properly exposed would have sufficed.
You're exactly right, I was thinking along the same lines but I just couldn't put it in the right words..

The one up front looks almost cartoonish, and I've found it's way too easy to go overboard with some of Photomatix' settings..

Going to PEI this summer.. With the forests, bright blue skies and red sand, I might make better use of this method..

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
I've been wanting to try it myself, but haven't had the right conditions either.

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. Experimentation is always worthwhile ... even if it doesn't work out, it still helps us learn and be better.

Keep shooting, and if you do some more with the HDR, please share it again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been wanting to try it myself, but haven't had the right conditions either.

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. Experimentation is always worthwhile ... even if it doesn't work out, it still helps us learn and be better.

Keep shooting, and if you do some more with the HDR, please share it again!
Nope, no harshness taken :icon_cool: - I'm just an IT geek playing with the new stuff that's out. I know the basics (exposure, aperture, etc.) from my wife, who's the actual photog, but she still likes the good ol' film, and it's up to me to figure out how to use the digital camera :D

I'll certainly keep an eye on more oppourtunities, with the Forester or otherwise.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 X Touring 4EAT
48 Posts
You might want to try a circular polarizing filter for a more natural picture without the harsh light reflections. Just an idea to try. Have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts