Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 JDM V1 impreza wagon buggered !
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a forester member on an impreza forum I go to that someone here (Probably don) would be able to answer a question for me.

will a will a forester box fit straight in to an impreza?
namely a TY755VN1AA fitting in my GF8 which currently has a TY754 box?

I have managed to work out that the rear diff needs to be changed for a 4.111 R160 and I think the box shells are the same.
I'm not sure if the front diff has splines for the front driveshafts or if I need to get some forester front driveshafts instead.
Also, can the gearbox oil cooler pipes be looped out or do I need to fit an oil cooler to the gearbox?

thanks

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
No reason it shouldn't fit so long as the rear diff is changed as well - IIRC the Forester gearbox has shorter ratios (XT vs WRX for example). I could be wrong on that though.

G

·
I shoved an Impreza gearbox in my Forester, no reason why it isn't cross-compatible. IIRC the trans crossmembers are a bit different due to the Impreza's lack of subframe spacers. The rear diff does need to be changed to match the transmission.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
That gearbox code is for a S Turbo box I think, in case that changes anything.

I know even less about "classics" than my normal poor knowledge of everything!!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,946 Posts
TY755VN1AA gearbox used in UK Forester from March '98 to August '00

As has been said due to the different drop down ratio the matching rear diff will be needed.

The front diff on this box should come with stub axles which AFAIK is the same as the 93 JDM GF8.

The oil pipes can be looped together.

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
I have an Impreza GB270 gearbox and rear diff combination in the forester that I am breaking - previous owner fitted it without any problems so should work back the other way.

Surely Impreza gearboxes are easier to come by though?

I will be selling the aforementioned gearbox soon if you are interested?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies. I may be going another route now, but the reason I was asking was because I managed to find a brand spanking new TY755VN1AA that had never been used since it left the Subaru factory and it was only £350. still in the original transport crate by the looks of it too. the guy ha a few non-turbo boxes for a similar price too, also new and unused.
so cheaper than an impreza one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he calls it "obsolete stock"
he has quite a few bargains on there for Subaru bits. The only drawback is his stock isn't like going to scoobyworld where you have a complete product range of bits so you can't get everything you need. it's just a case of having a look every so often and seeing what he has in at the time and when it's gone, it's gone.

I will post the link but I will wait till I am 100% sure that I will not be needing this box first, then you can all have a look and see if there's anything there anyone wants to snap up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts