Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.0 X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I lowered the drivers window on my Forester (2003 SG5). I joined the motorway and went to raise it....click.....click....nothing. So when I got home after 40 miles of rather fresh air I stripped it out. The motor was still working but the gearwheel to operate the mechanism was not turning.

So never always believe the Subaru technical manual as you can get the motor out by loosening off the bolts next to it and unscrewing it (3 screws) - but you need a mirror, a small rachet with a srewdriver bit and some patience!!

When I operated the motor out of the door it was obvious that something had gone wrong inside. I stripped the cover off and found the problem. If you look at the picture, the metal circular plate attached to the worm drive from the electric motor is a splined fit - as you can see it had corroded so was not turning the shaft which the outer gearwheel is attached too.

A good wirebrushing - a quick weld of shaft to metal plate - rebuild and lubricate - and now it all works again.

One hour of work and no cost -I have not even dared ring Subaru to ask the price of a new motor.

So if it happens to you and the window won't raise or lower and you can hear the motor working, try this first and save some money.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
That's what happened to my '03. Thare's a post on it somewhere. Water should not get into a sealed unit like the motor to cause it to rust out. Kudos to you for posting pix and telling/showing the cheap fix. A new motor was over $250 CDN 3 years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts