Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Manual
40 Posts
My manual trany started popping out of 4th this week and I noticed the shifter had a lot of movement when I decelerated or accelerated. I was planning on having it looked at next week. Last night it drove fine and only popped out of 4th once or twice on deceleration. I figured it was a motor mount or trany mount or sheared bolt that caused the engine/trany/gearshift to move. I start it today and notice the CEL is blinking and I have lost maybe 50% power. It idles rough but smooths out when accelerating. It has some noise at idle but I would expect more if I had dropped a valve or thrown a rod! Could it have pulled a vacuum hose or sensor wire off with the movement? What else would cause a power loss after it had run fine the day before? The Timing belt has maybe 20K on it. So I am stumped! Taking it into my mechanic to get final word.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L Manual
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SOLVED... THIS threw me for a loop. The 50% power loss was from the Coil pack about a year ago (average 27K yr) and not one but two out of four stopped firing!!! I would have never thought the problem would have been that!!! As for the trany, jumping out of fourth gear, it seems fourth gear is on it's way out. I will nurse it from 3rd to 5th and try and keep it alive as long as I can. I'm not going to replace the trany because there is too much rust and too many miles on the car. I need both rear wheel bearing already and the front end has some play in it. I am looking a newer Forester with low milage for under $10K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts