Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this Subaru and was just driving home from work after a bad storm. The roads were a little wet but didnt look bad.

I was going about 40mph in a very hilly area and there is a swamp off of the side of the road that created a large puddle(9-12 inches?) in the road for 20-30 feet. There are no street lights so I basically hit it at full speed and gently applied the break(not too hard, didnt wanna spin off the road) and the car handled fine.
I slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road.

Now I hear a noise when I accelerate(Not when the wheels are turning when the gas isnt being pressed though I believe).
At first It was at any speed. I thought there might be a pebble between the brake and rotor and went about 20-25mph and it got louder then completely went away. I was about 2 miles from home and now hear it inconsistently but its still there.

There are no dash lights on and the car is driving normally other than the noise. It almost sounds like there is thin mettle dragging on the road but there is nothing dragging, It seems like its on the passengers side but hard to tell for sure.

It sounds a bit like a heat shield but I am unsure and wanted to know where to start? How many heat shields does the car have? Are there some by the brakes and on the exhaust? Do you think it could be something else?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
835 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. You might also check the dust shields on the front brakes to make sure one didn't get bent out of place. Good luck and let us know what the problem is once you isolate it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for anyone who responded or who was going to respond. It was a rear heat shield that slightly warped toward the rear drive shaft. Bent it back into place and at 50mph the grinding sound is gone.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts