Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 forester manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Forester 2.0. The cel light is on constant along with a flashing cruise light. This happened approximately two months ago but the lights went off themselves after two days. The fuel efficiency has gotten a lot worse.

The car was in for its NCT (road worthiness test) yesterday and failed on Co2 emissions, although not by much. I suspect the cause of the cel light is also the cause of this.

The cat was replaced by the previous owner approximately 2 years ago. Is it likely that the cat is the problem once again, if so what's the cost of replacement , and I assume there is no dealer warranty/recall at this stage?

Also, the lights came on about five miles after filling the tank. I don't know if this is related or irrelevant.

Thanks in advance , I'm relatively new to the Subaru world.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,750 Posts
Might be a loose gas cap. That's the easiest way to turn on the CEL right after a fuel stop.

A cat should last much longer than 2 years. My first suspicion with a failed emissions test is the front O2 sensor. If that's the case, it's a straightforward replacement.

It's worth retrieving the stored codes in the engine computer whenever the engine light turns on. This can be done with an inexpensive OBD2 scanner that you can buy yourself, or inexpensively (perhaps free) by a shop that has the hardware.

I'm an advocate of owning an OBD2 scanner. It's good to know what the computer is reporting before taking the car to a shop. These days you can buy wireless OBD2 adaptors (Bluetooth for Android, and WiFi for iOS/Android) that connect to a smart phone or tablet.

·
Registered
2006 forester manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have since filled the car again and made sure to tighten the cap (after reading about the cap problem on here) but the light remains. I f it was a loose gas cap would the light need reset or switch itself off?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts