Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Forseter 2.0X has the factory default radio / CD but the CD player is broken.

No problem I thought, I have a spare removed from my wife's car some time ago.

After spending a couple of hours getting it connected and working, I then found the dashboard would not fit back. Which brings me to the question:

Is the Forester radio a non standard size?

I thought all radio's were a standard size either single or double DIN, but the radio removed from my wifes's VW Golf has the front panel about 5mm wider and taller then the Subaru radio.

The actual body of the radio's appears much the same size, it's just that the Subaru radio has a smaller front panel, and the one from the VW won't fit through the hole in the panel.

So if i'm looking for a new radio, do I have to find a special sized one for the Forester?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement CD deck. It's a Philips CDM-M5 4.1 I suspect it needs a new laser head. so if I can buy just that it would be great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey there,

Most have a standard size cd decks, and yours is not an exception. Go to Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras. There's a link, "Outfit my car", to find the correct size aftermarket cd deck for your car.

I'm not sure if Crutchfield ships internationally...if not, go to Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers... According to their website, they do ship internationally. I've had only positive experience with Sonicelectronix, plus they have very competitive prices.

But, of course, you can always go to your local store :biggrin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Foresters radio aperture is a standard size, however as with most Japanese cars you have to leave any finishing trim off.

Check out this thread from about post#12 onwards...............
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/ipod-kits-2006-xten-59414/
I beg to differ.

I bought a second hand replcement radio / cd player and installed it.

The body of the unit was exactly the same size as the old Subaru radio and it fitted the cradle correctly.

And as you say, there was a surround trim that was removable so it looked like it would fit.

BUT. even with the trim removed, the front of this new radio is 2mm wider than the old one, and hence 2mm wider than the opening in the subaru dash panel.

I have fitted it, with the radio further back in the cradle so the radio's front panel pushes up against the inside of the dash panel, i.e the radio is now slightly recessed. This was the better option, the only other choice would be file the hole in the panel a bit larger.

So I beg to differ, it does not appear to be a standard sized opening in the panel, either that or I have been unlucky again and got another over sized radio.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
5,555 Posts
I stand corrected.:icon_wink:

Although the mounting in the Forester is standard DIN size - 7"(178mm)x2"(50mm), the fascia is slightly smaller at 170mm x 46mm.

However MOST of the higher end radio manufacturers make allowances for this with a removable trim piece specifically for Japanese cars so they fit as shown below......

Alpine

Pioneer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but my point is, even with the removable trim removed, my radio is 2mm wider than the aperture. So either the aperture is too small, or the radio too big.

With the trim still in place the radio is far far too big for the aperture.

It would help if the car manufacturers and the radio manufacturers stated the EXACT size, rather than just saying it's a DIN size, then you would know if the radio would fit or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ran into this with my 1998 SF. I bought a JVC with removable head that needed some extra room on the sides of the trim piece. I took a coping saw and wood rasp to the trim and cut notches on either side to accommodate the new stereo. Worked like a charm and completely unnoticeable. Don't know if that would be the case with the newer models. Would have been easier had I had a proper cutting tool for my Dremel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts