Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 6-Spd Manual
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just found out the filter has to be replaced every oil change according to the maintenance schedule. Wondering if anyone trying to replace the cabin filter.

Manual says I have to remove the damper shaft from glove box first. But I tried and couldn't find a way to remove it and I don't want to break the plastic for sure. Anybody here knows how?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester Cvt
195 Posts
It's easy, just use a flat head screw driver and pry the damper off while pinching the two tags with your fingers or a pair of pliers . As for changing it every oil change, re-check your owners manual because that's not so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,481 Posts
lol..it doesn't need to be changed that often. Change it every time you do your air filter..more or less depending on conditions. For sure wait till after the pollen of the spring trees is gone. I probably do mine every 20 to 25 K miles.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: 6-Spd Manual

Just found out the (cabin air) filter has to be replaced every oil change according to the maintenance schedule.
You may want to double-check your Canadian maintenance schedule. Subaru's 2012 Canadian Maintenance Schedule lists the cabin air filter inspection (replacement if required) as a "B" interval item every 20,000 km or 12 months, or every other oil change.

Here's another Canadian maintenance schedule link: http://www.subaru.ca/webpage.aspx?webpageid=18541&websiteid=282

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's easy, just use a flat head screw driver and pry the damper off while pinching the two tags with your fingers or a pair of pliers . As for changing it every oil change, re-check your owners manual because that's not so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well it shows here as PERFORM in every oil change. But never show R as in replace.

Thanks. I tried to pinch the two tags with my finger and they are quite tight and I don't want to break them. I'll try with a pair of pliers. I believe you are talking about the tags on the lower end of the shaft. Will give it a try.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,054 Posts
The dealers get rich on the 'inspect' pieces of the maintenance schedule. Yes, some are quite necessary, but most amount to nothing more than a quick glance. The costs mount up.

'Inspecting' a cabin filter in most shops would consist of opening it up, checking to be sure no dead mice are trapped on it (no exaggeration—it's happened!), and putting it back in. For an extra fee they might shake out the accumulated pine needles. Be prepared for a large bill.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,787 Posts
Well it shows here as PERFORM in every oil change. But never show R as in replace.
That link shows that you should "replace the paper filter (behind glovebox) every 15 months, depending on air conditions"

I think you are following the wrong row over, as the box above is for tire rotation, which is every oil change.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
27 Posts
Hi. Just found out the filter has to be replaced every oil change according to the maintenance schedule. Wondering if anyone trying to replace the cabin filter.

Manual says I have to remove the damper shaft from glove box first. But I tried and couldn't find a way to remove it and I don't want to break the plastic for sure. Anybody here knows how?

Thanks.
This could be of help...

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Under normal use it should last more than 3 years. I just vacuum it gently once a year and it looks like new again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That link shows that you should "replace the paper filter (behind glovebox) every 15 months, depending on air conditions"

I think you are following the wrong row over, as the box above is for tire rotation, which is every oil change.
LOL. My bad. In fact I did. Thanks.

This could be of help...

Thanks for the picture. However it still doesn't show how to release the shaft in question. The picture shows how to detach the whole glove box AFTER releasing the shaft.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
My dealership showed every 3 oil changes, which is probably over a year. They want $70 to do it but someone on here said they cost a few bucks on amazon. So I'll definitely be doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Well it shows here as PERFORM in every oil change.
Really? For the 2014 U.S. Forester's cabin air filter, I read the following statement:

"replace the paper filter (behind glovebox) every 15 months, depending on air conditions"
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,054 Posts
This is one of the most uncritical specs in the entire maintenance schedule, and it's hardly a warranty killer. Clean it out when it's dirty; replace it when it's really ugly. Take a peek every year or so. That's all.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,787 Posts
For what it is worth, my pre-paid service included a cabin air filter replacement at 15,000 miles.

But as posted above, just do it every year to 15 months.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
50 Posts
LOL. My bad. In fact I did. Thanks.
The picture shows how to detach the whole glove box AFTER releasing the shaft.
I haven't done this on my 2014 Forester yet but looks similar to my 2009 Impreza. I know you don't want to break anything, and all I can say is be more confident that you won't. On my 2009, the bottom part of the shaft just pops off once you apply a little muscle.

I change my cabin filters (1) time a year after pollen season.

Paul G.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Paul. Just got the shaft off by squeezing the two tabs. It was kind of hard (probably new) last time when I tried it thus I was afraid of breaking the plastic piece. Turn out they are pretty soft.

The filter is quite dirty (should've taken a picture first) after 30000km in 9 months. I cleaned it up good and will replace it later.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1997 Forester 5MT DR
44 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
660 Posts
You don't have to go OEM on the filter. In fact some third-party filters are more robust and include things like baking soda and activated charcoal to soak up bad odors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts