Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've had my 2010 Forester for about 2 weeks now. This is my first Subie. Love it!

However, I've noticed that the steep angled windshield is going to be a rock magnet. I imagine the front end/headlights will suffer rock nicks as well.

I want to protect it and I've been looking at both the full front end mask/bra and the plastic hood deflector. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each.

Is the full front bra (OEM Subaru) worth the money? I'm looking at this thing and thinking its going to be a real pain the butt to wash the car, or that the bra will collect dust and fine particles between it and the car, which would damage the finish.

The plastic hood deflector doesn't look like it would really do much at all. It seems to be a small target for bouncing road pebbles. Gimmick? Or am I overlooking something?

I've heard about "clear" protective front-end films, but I'm not sure how well these age. I'd image they'd yellow with age and look horrid. True? Also, the "Rockblocker" I've found reference to in these forums don't seem to be around anymore.

Suggestions? Help a newbie out. Thanks!

·
Registered
06 FXT-6MT happening
341 Posts
Hi folks,

I've had my 2010 Forester for about 2 weeks now. This is my first Subie. Love it!

However, I've noticed that the steep angled windshield is going to be a rock magnet. I imagine the front end/headlights will suffer rock nicks as well.

I want to protect it and I've been looking at both the full front end mask/bra and the plastic hood deflector. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each.

Is the full front bra (OEM Subaru) worth the money? I'm looking at this thing and thinking its going to be a real pain the butt to wash the car, or that the bra will collect dust and fine particles between it and the car, which would damage the finish.

The plastic hood deflector doesn't look like it would really do much at all. It seems to be a small target for bouncing road pebbles. Gimmick? Or am I overlooking something?

I've heard about "clear" protective front-end films, but I'm not sure how well these age. I'd image they'd yellow with age and look horrid. True? Also, the "Rockblocker" I've found reference to in these forums don't seem to be around anymore.

Suggestions? Help a newbie out. Thanks!

There are definitely options.
If you want stealth and good protection, then take the new Foz straight to your local window tint shop and have them put a layer of clear on the outside of the windshield, it is replaceable when it starts to get scratched up and funky after about 2 years.
Just do NOT use any ammonia based window cleaner and you will be good to go.

For the nose of the car (including headlights) google "clear bra" installers in your area, there are plenty and the good ones are artists.
Whatever part of the car does not have a pre fab template, they can free hand and you will never know it was anything less than perfect.
They can do headlights and the leading edges of your mirrors as an example.

Do the windshield asap before you get any rock chips and it will be seamless.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
I had a front end bra in my first car(1978 Celica). The instructions stated to remove to wash the car, and at the first sign of rain. That was a big pain in the donkey. After about 2 years it buggered up the paint(faded it prematurely). I've had the plastic hood deflector on my last 4 vehicles, including my 2010 Forester. I would recommend the deflector to anyone.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
The deflector works awesome on our '03. Believe it or not, at highway speed the deflector can redirect objects as large as a nickel over the car as they are directed into the force of the flow.

I used a bra on one vehicle years ago. I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Limited
52 Posts
The first nick I got on my other car was due to grit under the bra. When I bought my Forester last summer, I had a 3M clear bra put on the front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, and lower rear hatch section (prevent scratches when closing). It has seen 14,000 miles in less than a year, and prevented many scratches along the way.

FYI: I put the Subaru hood bra on during a trip and had to take it off an hour into my trip, because it starting flapping.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,499 Posts
The deflector works awesome on our '03. Believe it or not, at highway speed the deflector can redirect objects as large as a nickel over the car as they are directed into the force of the flow.

I used a bra on one vehicle years ago. I won't make that mistake again.
I wouldn't be without a front bug deflector on our '03 X! I had to replace it once when it was hit by a rock & the one on there now has taken many hits, protecting the front of the hood & the windshield. :cool:

As for the standard bra. The instructions say it's not to be kept it on when it's wet, or it will damage the paint! :icon_eek:

I wish they made a front bug defector for my '07 FSXT, but the ony option is a clear bra, which are spendy & needs to be applied before the paint is chipped, or the chips will be very visable thru the clear bra. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I'd say get the hood protector, it definitely helps deflect small rocks from the hood and on the '09/10s I think it looks really nice. Just put mine on a couple weeks ago and I noticed many many chips in the hood that would have been avoided if I put it on earlier.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
29 Posts
On the issue of the hood deflector

I am going to order one fro m subaruonlineparts.com Does anyone know if drilling is necessary? I want one with no drilling. Is it easy to install?
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
the hood protector requires no drilling. When you get it there will be the deflector, a couple clips, some 3m clear tape, 2 square snaps and some screws.

The first thing you do is put the 2 square snaps just on either side of the hood latch underneath the rubber trim for the hood. I found it easier to remove 2 or 3 of the little snaps holding the rubber on as they pop in and out really easily without breaking. Next you'll see the large opening the square pieces fit in, pop them in place put a piece of 3M clear tape on the hood in line with the snaps and screw the clip to the square snap you put in place. Make sure you use the 2 bigger screws for this part, ensure the snaps don't spin when you put the screw in (just put a finger on it) and don't tighten them down all the way yet. Next I managed to get the hood to sit half way open without having to hold it up so you'll place the hood protector over the 2 clips you just put in place and make sure it lines up with the edges of the hood on right and left so you can put a piece of the clear tape about where holes are. Then put the hood protector down and slide clips over the clear tape you just put on the hood, I found it a little easier if you pry open the clip a tiny bit before sliding on. Next as the instructions say start with the outer clips and screw the protector to the clips, you may or may not need to slide the clips around to line them up good but just work your way to the middle clips and don't forget to tighten the screws holding those 2 middle clips once you get them lined up and secured.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hood protector, hood protector!!

15 minutes or less could save you $1500 on paint and windshield repair.

Well, IDK about 15 minutes. It took me about 45 minutes to install.

·
Administrator
39,499 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Silver Sport
166 Posts
We have a 2010, but it is a turbo and thus has the scoop in the hood. We have never had a plastic deflector on the turbo models we've owned. Anyone have a 9/10 XT with one installed or know if it creates more wind noise or inhibits airflow into the scoop/intake?

·
Administrator
39,499 Posts
No for the bra, unless it's the clear bra. Keep in mind the clear bra need to be applied before you get any chips in your hood, or it will show! :frown:

I have a hood protector on the '03 X & it's taken may rock hits. I'm on the second one & a third one is on the way. I also ordered a hood protector for my '07. Not the best look, but beats a chipped up hood or cracked windshield! :wink:

As to hoods with a turbo hood scoop. They make a specific model that is shaped differently. It prevents too much air from being directed away from the scoop.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X AT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a 2010, but it is a turbo and thus has the scoop in the hood. We have never had a plastic deflector on the turbo models we've owned. Anyone have a 9/10 XT with one installed or know if it creates more wind noise or inhibits airflow into the scoop/intake?
I will say this up front. I am told that you should NOT install a hood deflector on a turbo. I think it deflects the air from the turbo scoop. More knowledgeable contributors can elucidate on this.

I installed the hood deflector on my regular '10 Forester. I decided I liked how it looked, despite it being protective or not.

First, I notice *no* extra wind noise. I do notice that it helps deflect some bugs from the windshield, but not all. Definitely reduces the splats! I'm going to assume that road debris will be treated similarly.

I've driven it in rain, but I don't have enough observation yet to determine if it has any effect of rain on the windshield. I rarely get over 50MPH in the rain with the traffic down here in SoCal! It doesn't rain enough either! :biggrin:

I really love how it looks on the Forester. It was a bit more challenging to install than I expected, as getting the hood's screw holes aligned with the hood clips is a bit challenging, as the clips go over this protective tape you install on the lip. That makes the clips nearly impossible to "nudge" into position if you need to. Regardless, I got it on the hood.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
My forester came with the OEM hood deflector on it and I don't know if it's a help for rocks and bugs but I'm leaving it on regardless. Just an FYI though, the slant of the Forester windshield makes it a rock chip magnet. If you do get a chip, watch it very carefully and get it fixed if it looks like it's got potential to become an issue. There is a lot of information on here about that topic.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
I got one too...

make sure you take it off when you wash and wax your car...

otherwise, watermark gonna be all over

·
Registered
246 Posts
I got my first crack in my windshield just a month after owning it.....pissed:mob: I wish I got the deflector

1 - 20 of 37 Posts