Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a bike rack that carries two bikes, preferably one that attaches to the back. Does anyone know if the Subaru rack is easy to use? Can one get in and out of the back without taking the bikes off? I keep my dogs in the back (have a dog gate), I would like to get them out without always taking the bikes off. I haven't seen one of these racks close up, so I don't know how they work. The last bike rack I had was a generic one for my Toyota. Thanks for any input you might have.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hi Linda,
Welcome. I'm not a bike hitch expert, but I don't think anything exists that will allow you to open the back without taking off the bikes. I'm an aftermarket guy myself. I'm sure you'll find better bike hitches than what Sube offers.

Also, there are about 30-40 existing threads on bike racks and bike rack recommendations that you might find useful, like this one-- http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/bike-rack-recommendations-18284/

Do a "title" search for "bike rack" and you have a wealth of information at your fingertips!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
141 Posts
I have the Yakima Super Joe for two bikes. I can put it on in three minutes or take it off in about 30 seconds, and while the bikes are kinda heavy, I can lift the gate with them on there (though it is necessary to hold the gate up by hand -- the weight of the bikes will pull it down).

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are wanting a hitch mount rack, both Thule and Yakima have ones that allow access without removing the rack. Options are to swing out or tilt down. I think you need a 2" hitch for the swing out ones though...

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
Performance Bicycling sells a hitch rack that works pretty well. You can fold it down to open the hatch, but the bikes need to be off it. It is just about as easy to just pull the thing off. It does fold for storage. It has gotten pretty good reviews and I like mine. Only glitch is that the "wires" that hold the latch pins to the rack aren't five-year-old proof.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
Nowadays, many hitch installed bike racks have options to move/tilt their "arms" in order to gain access to rear doors. But, I believe, the bikes will need to come off or at the very least, loosened in order for the arms to tilt.

There are lots of options and very useful instructions on etrailer.com. That is where I got my bike rack and hitch.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
Nowadays, many hitch installed bike racks have options to move/tilt their "arms" in order to gain access to rear doors. But, I believe, the bikes will need to come off or at the very least, loosened in order for the arms to tilt.
I have a Hollywood rack that holds two bikes and would tilt down fully with two heavy full suspension bikes on it. This is the only pic I have though.

·
Registered
2007 2.0X AWD Comfort
1 Posts
Westfalia Portilo!

Hi Linda,

I do not know if you can buy the Westfalia Portilo (just Google it) in the USA.

I'm from Holland and last week I bought the Westfalia Portilo on Ebay to use on my Forester 2007.
It cost me 400 EUR, but that is not too high compared to other options.
Furthermore, it's German, so it is safe and reliable.

The Portilo is very small, is easily attached to the trailer hitch, can accomodate two bikes AND folds away with the bikes to access the boot!
I think it is a wonderful bike rack!

Hans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts