Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2002 forester s with 150k on it. Runs pretty well, has had timing belt done, hg replaced and a list of other maintenance. However, I have a whine/ squeal from the belt on the front of the engine immediately behind the radiator on the right hand front portion of the engine. In fact, I think it is one of the pulleys that the belt is on that is making the noise (which is noticable inside the car). Pardon my lack of familiarity with the engine, but I have had this forester for 2 days and have not even had a chance to buy a service manual yet.

So, what do you guys think this whine could be- what is that belt?

If it is what I describe how much would it cost/ how difficult would it be to replace this belt and pulley?

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Could be that when they did the head gasket they didn't tension the auxiliary drive belt properly when they refitted it. Maybe just needs tightening up. This will squeel when the engine is under load if it is too loose. (or even replace it if it has a glazed appearance on the running surface.).

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
id take a hard look at the a/c belt idler pulley. Mine made noise for awhile...until it totally seized and tried to burn my car to the ground (well, the belt melted to nothing).

remove the alternator belt, then remove the a/c belt. Then remove the two bolts that hold the idler on. If the idler doesn't spin freely or moves chunkily, replace it or it's going to seize.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts