Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had help from a friend adding transmission fluid to my car (it was incredibly low— had a leak, but got that fixed at a shop later). I was at work when my friendly helpfully added Dexron III. BUT he added it to the front differential! Unhelpfully, both the differential and the tranny both have yellow dipsticks. Is this going to be an issue??

Oddly, after the Dexron was added *to the differential* the tyranny dipstick registered full...

So the manual says to use API classification GL-5 to the differential. Obviously not Dexron III.

What would happen if I left the Dexron in the differential?

It’s already been about 2 weeks.... no smoke or fires yet. I forgot to mention the tranny fluid being added to the wrong spot to my mechanic when he flushed the transmission after fixing the leak. He did that about 3 days after the Dexron was added to the differential...

I appreciate the input!

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Pdavis86

How much was added? If a substantial amount I would drain and refill.

Just make sure you get the right drain plug; it's the plug that needs a torx T-70 bit.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin!

About 1 quart was added. Like I said, it made the fluid on the transmission side go up, too. Not sure what that’s about.

Do you think a quart is enough to want to flush it?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,218 Posts
The capacity of the front diff is 1.1 quart. Drain and start over/

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
It should not change the level in an auto transmission box and if it did then there is another problem! If it's leaking through to the gearbox there must be a blown seal; I've not pulled one apart so maybe someone else can chime in with some better knowledge Steve @Sackett perhaps.

Given the total capacity of the front diff is 1.2-1.4 quarts I would change it.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,066 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts