Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
Just want to update all of you who are looking for a place to wire your Forester 2009 / Impreza 2008 for aftermarket or OEM Navigation with VSS, Rear Gear, +12V Ignition (On) wires.
Here is a quick update on what and why I've done this. I have a 2009 Forester Touring Pack where I didn't have a Navi system (just a basic OEM Clarion audio); I don't have a subwoofer or any other fancy audio features - just a basic factory audio. Anyways, I've decided to install an OEM (Kenwood FXDD07EF2) Navi into my car like the one here : hxxp://xxx.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/factory-dvd-navigation-unit-install-non-nav-my09-forester-56941/ which I've got from Paul, "scope56" user on this forum throughout eBay....thanks buddy.
As we all know that non-navi Forester/Impreza doesn’t have a harness to make plug-n-play connection happen. So, I did contact this guy "svxdc" from this forum (here is his web site: hxxp://ae64.com/]Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information ) to build a harness for me...and he did. Thanks a lot, David.
When I've got my unit and harness delivered it was plug-n-play task...but!!!! Navi unit itself was working perfectly fine, the only feature was unavailable is a turn-by-turn voice and screen assistance. The harness, as I've said, was plug-n-play but there were three wires which I had to connect manually to my existing Subaru wiring. Wires were Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS) - to enable turn-by-turn road assistance , Rear Gear Signal - looks like it improves GPS signal and +12V Ignition (On) wires. See this thread with pinout description: hxxp://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10308972&postcount=11

The idea was to find all these wires in the same place or at least as close as possible so I don't need to remove all my dash plastic. And there is such a place...it is called "Optional Connector" or "OP Connector" or "Connector B228" (see pic: op_connector.jpg and harness_plug_pinouts2.jpg for pinout ). This connector is located right behind your driver's fuse box 15 pin connector (see this thread: hxxp://xxx.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior/130718-problem-subaru-jdm-gauge-install-08sti-5.html ) . Unfortunately my car doesn't have it as many other Subaru’s on NA market, so I had to find another solution. The solution is.

First: remove your audio system, and route the harness which goes into clock unit, unplug connector from your clock (it is a 8 pin connector) and find a Br-W wire - for impreza / Or-G - for forester on pin #8 - this will be your +12V Ignition ON(Run) wire, use tap-connector to "vampire" into this wire and to connect to your navi harness. See: impreza_2008_clock_wiring.pdf

Second: Remove your glove box and the cover behind it. Suisse you hand on the left from cabin filter and find a B36/I1 28 pin connector - where you need pin #2 with P-G wire for your VSS. As before, use tap-connector to "vampire into this wire to route it to your VSS harness wire. See: VSS.jpg , VSS2.jpg and navi.pdf for pinout.

Third: Remove right plastic cover from footwell area (under glove box on the right side on passenger seat), there you will see number of connectors close to the floor level. Find a connector with Br-Y wire on pin #3 and that will be Rear Gear signal; "vampire" into it...and toy are all done. See: Rear_gear1.jpg and backup_light.pdf for pinout.

Attachments

·
Registered
GR STI | EVO X
55 Posts
awesome, this will help a lot when it comes time to install an aftermarket navi :biggrin:

can you circle in the photo where the VSS connector is on the first VSS picture? thanks

·
Registered
2009 Forester
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome, this will help a lot when it comes time to install an aftermarket navi :biggrin:

can you circle in the photo where the VSS connector is on the first VSS picture? thanks
All done. Thanks and hope this helps

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Here's a large picture of harness "i1" (which has the VSS wire on pin 2 -- the pink/green wire separated away from the others). It's plugged into harness B36 (barely visible).

(click to see larger image)​
(thanks to "lupohki" who posted the original picture in this thread on IWSTI).

ADDED: The wire on the back side (on the mating connector) has a longer span before being wrapped into a bundle -- easier to tap onto.

The location pictured applies to 2009-2013 Forester, 2008-2011 Impreza/WRX/STI/OBS, and 2012-2013 WRX/STI (not Impreza).

On Imprezas, the wire on the back is the same color (PINK with GREEN stripe). On Foresters, the wire on the back changes color to GREEN with BLACK stripe.

Also, do not use a simple 12V circuit tester like the one shown in yasen's 3rd picture. Use a quality voltmeter. With the increasing number of airbag wires in cars, you want to minimize the risk setting any off.

BTW, I found that connectors i1/B36 (in a 2008 Impreza) were visible without having to remove the glovebox or any trim panels. Just crawl headfirst into the passenger footwell (in a LHD car) and look up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts