Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, maybe somebody can answer me. I have a 2009 Forester diesel, 20000 Km.
I each morning, when I press or release the clutch, I hear like a ''whistle''. I doesn't matter if I driving or not, but only when the engine is on. This sound lasts arround 10 - 15 minutes. The service guys said that this is normal?! I don't think so. Thanks in advance for your answers!

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
When cold only? Yes, others have noticed this too. It's a "feature" of the Dual-Mass flywheel, probably thick grease when cold.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
A "feature" as dpm states. But for those cynical engineers amongst us, it's a definite "Hummm, if you say so" when the dealer tells us not to worry :icon_eek:

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch

Yes, only when cold. Thanks for your answer. So, can be done something, is it bad?

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
There does not appear to be any sort of "fix" available from Subaru at present, so your dealer will not be able to deal with it under the warranty.

Should we worry about it :shrug:, but if it was a sound that was present on a used/2nd hand car we would insist that the clutch thrust bearing was replaced before buying, wouldn't we.

·
Registered
2009 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forester clutch problems

Hello, my Subaru, 30000 Km, model 2009, the service decided to change the entire clutch, because of the whistle sound. Sad thing for a new car, and this is not the only one case...

·
Registered
2009 Forester Diesel
2 Posts
Hi all from Italy, I found this whistle a few days after car purchasing (on February it was pretty cold) after 29000Km when the engine and the gear box are cold the noise is still there and it seems to be inversely proportional with the temperature :) Anyway I didn't experience any problem with the clutch.
Ciao,
Daniele

1 - 7 of 7 Posts