Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed what seams a significant oil leak on the left side head gasket in my 2006 Forester. I maintained the car regularly so I was surprised (and disappointed) to find the engine all covered in oil.... Anybody knows if there has been a recall on this item? Also if you had a similar problem I would appreciate any info on how you resolved it with Subaru. The milage on the vehicle is 97000 km. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
Could the oil path you are seeing have originated at the valve cover?

I would start by cleaning it and then take a look again each day and see if you can better trace it back.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
If it's left side at the back corner it's likely the HG. May as well have both done if you're going to pay for it, along with the TB and all other gaskets and seals while you're in there.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
Just had my '04 done at over 86,000 miles with external oil leak. I wrote a nice letter to Subaru expressing my disappointment and that I thought they should cover the repair since I believed it directly related to their motor design. They first offered a credit on a new car (which I figured they would give a previous owner anyway). I then called and they converted it to a $500 credit for service or parts. Doesn't hurt to ask. You may get even better response if you're the original owner and have all maintenance receipts for correctly scheduled maintenance. Good luck! edit: I should note the credit was a "customer care", "goodwill" or something like that as no admittance of bad construction was made by SOA.

BTW the new hgs should be "multi-shim" design and last better than the coated OEM one that was in there.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
I've got a 2003 Forester with a light 103,000km on the odometer that started to exhibit signs of head gasket issues in the mid-90,000 kms.

Didn't realize it at the time but once my radiator started losing vast amounts of fluid, I took it into the local Vancouver dealer. As soon as they checked it out, the dealer called to tell me they would split the repair cost 50/50 on the spot.

Being a little suspicious, I did a little more research only to stumble into the nightmare that is WWP-90 (Cooling System Conditioner Service Program Campaign). After putting a case together, I contacted Subaru Canada only to have them wiggle this way and that to try and get out of taking responsibility.

At first, they tried to say that the service bulletin is a "U.S. only issue" where their website clearly states that SOA bulletins are also covering Canadian models.

I've asked for confirmation whether my VIN is included in the campaign; after a day and a half, they've come back simply to say "it's not" and that all they can offer due to my service record is a 50/50 split on costs which still ends up being C$950 out of my pocket.

Any idea if that is an acceptable amount? Would replacing both the left and right side gaskets (no damage to any other parts, apparently) really cost $1,900?

·
Registered
2003 Forester
20 Posts
My '03 came to $1050 (US) back in January for both sides and was covered completely by SOA. I was pleased.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts