Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forester anthousiasts,

I was hoping to find an answer here for a problem with my dads Forester 2.0XT '04
It's leaking a huge amount of oil after it's been driven, and I haven't been able yet to find the source.
The car has only covered 16.000 miles, so it's nearly new.
But... it has been moved back and forth a bit, when it hadn't been used for months, which I know of is a very bad thing to do.

Anyway, the car simply loses all the oil you put into it, and if you keep on going long enough the warning light will pop up.
I have removed the cover from underneath and checked the oil coverplate (don't know excact name), but bolts were tight enough, aswell as the oil filter.
Furthermore it's very difficult to see where the oil comes from, and from what I can tell the engine should come out to get a better vieuw, or at least there has to be alot of work done.

But firtly I wonder where the oil leak could actually come from.
Perhaps you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
The leak can be from anywhere really. It could be a seal, hose, gasket, turbo line, etc. Best thing is to remove that plastic cover from the bottom of the car, drive it or do whatever you need to do to get the oil to leak, and then jack the car up, or put it on ramps and get under there with a flashlight and take a look. At the very least you'll be able to see a rough area of where it's coming from.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
First of all, don't wait for the warning light to come on.

Anyway, If you take the under cover off and start the car with a piece of cardboard underneath you should find some drops. A valve cover leak is a possibility, doesn't require engine removal for most leaks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
If you can't find a leak under the car, the oil could be escaping going out the tailpipe. Despite the low number of miles the piston rings could be worn. Alternatively, oil could be leaking into the intake manifold and burning that way. Take out the spark plugs and check them for oil fouling. Is there a cloud of smoke when you start the car, or first start moving from a stop?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Unfortunatly if the warning light did come on and driven at all after that the engine may be toast. The light comes on when there is almost no oil pressure, not when the oil is low.

Does the car have any rust on it? My friend's oil pan was leaking and you were basically doing a constant oil change on it and it was just a slight pinhole leak.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help so far guys.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask a friend who's a mechanic to have a look at it.
I really can't tell what the source of the leak is.
But I'll remind him of the possibility's you guys have just summed up.
Thanks again, and as soon I know more I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those interested...
Turned out to be the oil filter which had been mounted with a wrench (by an official toyota dealer).
I did see it was damaged a bit, but thougt it surely couldn't cause such a big oil leak.
But the mechanic said it was definately possible and couldn't find any other source either.
So I mounted a new oil filter and put new oil in, so far so good...
Very happy that it turned out to be such a small issue, but the fact that official dealers don't even have the expertise to properly mount an oil filter still upsets me.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
just be careful now that you've already driven it to the point of no oil pressure. keep watch for shavings in your oil and the development of rod knock

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
For those interested...
Turned out to be the oil filter which had been mounted with a wrench (by an official toyota dealer).
I did see it was damaged a bit, but thougt it surely couldn't cause such a big oil leak.
But the mechanic said it was definately possible and couldn't find any other source either.
So I mounted a new oil filter and put new oil in, so far so good...
Very happy that it turned out to be such a small issue, but the fact that official dealers don't even have the expertise to properly mount an oil filter still upsets me.

Thanks again for the help!
i bought my forester used from a Toyota dealer. i thought it sounded a little loud when i first cranked and drove it for the test. their tech missed getting the tabs in the bottom of the air filter housing engaged when they serviced it. :icon_frown: :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.0XT AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, still fine so far.
I've taken it for a few drives now, and it's like new.
Just one other thing came up...
When changing from 4th to 5th gear at 4K+ rpm it makes the noise as if the clutch isn't fully engaged.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I'm pretty sure its the sound of the gears scraping each other, only for a very short period tho, but definately not like it should be.
I know shifting at 4K rpm + in 4th gear isn't very common, but it shouldn't be a problem is neccesary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts