Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i'm new on this forum, might become a regular user because i am looking at purchasing a brand new forester ;) . it is gasoline version 2.0 boxer, 150 HP, x package of equipment (basic one).
primary i am interested in comfortable family vehicle (2 kids), with enough cargo space (always carrying plenty of stuff - kids and outdoor activities) and i am expecting it to be very reliable. because of reliability and security i am willing to pay extra price (compared to non 4wd and non-japanese competition) for new car and also for fuel consumption.
alternative for similar price is year old diesel outback with 50.000km (~30.000miles).

any advice appreciated, especialy info about real life 2.o gasoline boxer fuel consumption and maintenance or potential problems...

thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
I think the petrol version is a little thirsty and some say slightly under-powered, so i'd try and go for the diesel version myself. The Legacy is a great car too and a little bigger.

I may get shouted at for this, but if i had the choice between a new petrol Forester and a fairly new diesel Outback for the same money, i'd have to go with the Outback.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
404 Posts
I'd get a diesel as well if they offered one here in the States. I'd opt for the 2.0l engine if they offered that too, gets much better MPG than the 2.5, which at times is more power than I need. But most of the time I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to clarify , it is '08 model outback, not 2010.

my biggest cocern is that outback is used car, with 50.000km and has modern diesel which in my experience (with other companies) is very prone to various maintenance after 100.000-150.000km (turbine, common rail, injectors, bosch pump...)

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
The later CR diesels are much more 'reliable' than the first generation (the Subaru uses 3rd gen kit and is Denso), also a lot of older cars expensive maintenance was due to poor dealer understanding of the systems and frankly a lot just didn't know what they were doing. (Having worked as the CR Diesel man on the 'current engineering' (OPD in Ford speak) team at Ford for a year!)

Simon

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,242 Posts
Mine is comfortable and fast enough (for me). Typical fuel consumption is 30mpg.

The boot is not very big though, especially if you want to use the load cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts