Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you rate the build quality after owning it for a bit? I just spoke to someone on the street who has had their XT limited for a while, and they flat out said they didn't like it because they think it feels cheap (for the price).

They say the engine is zippy (good), but they're not liking the interior build quality, and one of their fender flares is falling off.

I have been wanting to buy one for a while, but this person's opinion after having it for a while has got me a bit worried. Any thoughts/counter-opinions?

Thanks!

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Hello.

I have had my 2009 XT since September 2008 with 42000km on it. There are those that have had rattle issues. I have not. Is there hard plastic surfaces...yes. The price for this car is 20's and up. I would be concerned about the interior being "cheap" if I spent 50+ for it.

Also, I drive my FXT where most don't...off road. If I had build quality issues my trails would have shaken them loose. :)

The FXT is not perfect but the pluses clearly outweigh the few negative in my opinion. Do not judge all 09/10 FXT's by your first example. Nothing is falling off my FXT and I have done a lot to warrant it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello.

I have had my 2009 XT since September 2008 with 42000km on it. There are those that have had rattle issues. I have not. Is there hard plastic surfaces...yes. The price for this car is 20's and up. I would be concerned about the interior being "cheap" if I spent 50+ for it.

Also, I drive my FXT where most don't...off road. If I had build quality issues my trails would have shaken them loose. :)

The FXT is not perfect but the pluses clearly outweigh the few negative in my opinion. Do not judge all 09/10 FXT's by your first example. Nothing is falling off my FXT and I have done a lot to warrant it.
Thanks for the opinion, good to hear. I test drove one a while ago and I personally really liked the simplicity and open feel of the interior.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Mm well.. the XT has basically the same interior quality as the X and XS, with the exception of leather, CD changers, etc. So we're talking about a 20k car in terms of interior quality. I guess if I was paying $32k, I'd like at least Acura RDX quality.. and that is miles above the XT. So yeah, I'd have to agree with your friend.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The forester is competing with the rav4 and cr-v which have about equal interior quality. It's an "entry level" suv, if you're looking for a higher end interior, the legacy/outback are more of what you would expect for the price point of the XT. The SH is a great idea, but I feel subaru fell a bit short compared to the previous models.

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
5 Posts
We have a 12 month old 09 XT Limited. Sure there are some new squeaks and rattles but everything works and it still feels solid.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
I guess if I was paying $32k, I'd like at least Acura RDX quality.. and that is miles above the XT. So yeah, I'd have to agree with your friend.
I have to disagree with you neoshi. Build for build, same same the RDX will be 39-40K compared to 30-31K for the XT (both with NAV). At least that is what I found when I compared the 2. It was between those 2 vehicles at purchase time and the difference in $$$ were big. I could have gotten the RDX as it was in my budget. I really like my XT and the vehicles before it in order were Lincoln LS V8 Sport (Loaded), BMW 7 series (only comes 1 way, mostly), MB E class (same as BMW) so yes I am used to a better build quality. All high end vehicles.

I tried something different with the FOZ and I like it. Its not any of those cars but for what it is, it has impressed me. Maybe I didn't expect much (doubt it) but I like it and got what I expected, it serves its purpose and I feel safe in it. It is fun to drive. Did I say I like it.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
oh wait you're right. it's like $37k for the SH-AWD and it's $32k for a base RDX, which is a lot more plastic than the SH-AWD and no power seats and stuff. my bad.. i've been thinking about the RDX SH-AWD because that's what my dealer uses to drive me around.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
hyuk hyuk you guys need to do it more often because i'd hate to give out wrong info

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I bought my '09 XT on May 30, 2008..It was on the second truckload delivered to the dealership and the first red one in the area. I have loved it from the minute I saw it in the showroom. I even have a picture of it in the showroom.
I have almost 26K miles on it now and love it more with each drive. I don't do a lot of off road, but I do like to play on the Interstate as well as some of the roads around the North Georgia Mountains.
nothing has fell off or rattled me to death. Mine was one of the ones affected by the stop sale (early production XTs) and it is still chugging along nicely (and have two BlackStone UOA's to prove it).
Is the inside as nice as a vehicle that cost 10K more? Probably not, but I love it and love it even more since mine is paid off and others who paid far more for a competing vehicle are probably still paying and paying.
Did I mention I love my Scooby?

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Bought my 10' XT August 2009. 13,000 miles now. Went for a round trip from Iowa cross through South Datoka, Montana and Wyoming, cross the border to Vancouver over the winter. So far no major problem only the windshield was hit by a rock from a semi-truck. So far I love the forester performance on winter and summer.

When I first thing buying a small SUV, It down to the Forester, RAV4 and FJ Crusier. The only reason I chose Forester is the practicality and the all time all wheel drive instead of 2WD. The only thing about RAV4 was the 4WD system that only drive 2 wheel in normal road condition and so does the FJ Crusier. Yet, RAV4 Trunk door open sideway, which sometime you will had a hard time to find space to open it if you park on the street. The FJ has the same problem and yet doesn't have a second-row door. I only thing I was thinking FJ is its offroad capability. That's why I end up with Subaru. The only thing I would say about the Forester is the stereo is suck, and the 4 speed gearbox, which I knew before I purchrase my car, because I do some research in the forum.

Even though I don't like the local Subaru dealership because they are mostly Nissan dealership. (They have a GT-R R35 in the Nissan Showroom) The saleman doesn't know much about Subaru, but I choose to buy my car. The dealership is very small and more like a Used car dealership than a Subaru dealership. They only have one X, one X Premium and one XT (which I bought) on the lot. I bought it anyway.

Subaru didn't gave me any money, just stand from a only stand point why I love my Forester.

Brand new at the dealership

Rapid City, South Datoka

Got the basket a Seattle

Parking outside of KPAE (Boeing Paine-field Airport)

got it teeth whitened.

Towed a U-haul trailer

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
For me, one of the things I liked most about the Forester was the "simplicity" of it I guess some might say cheapness. A bunch of glossy fake wood trim pieces just don't do it for me. I wanted something that you can take apart easily, change the stereo to an aftermarket unit (try doing that on most new cars, ie.. Tribeca). Something that was simple, but solid and HALLS when you need to. Most of all, I wanted a reliable car that did all this with 4/all wheel drive UNDER $30k. Put that all together and here you go. Forester XT Premium. I got it with an ASPCA discount for less than $25k with taxes and all. I couldn't say no to that.

·
Registered
2010 subaru forester
30 Posts
for me i think my forester is practical and basic. simple but evil inside the hood:evilatyou: its fun to drive yet well behave. i got this wagon last feb 19 2010. traded my beloved nissan frontier nismo edition. i was gonna buy a infiniti fx 45. but after i saw this car at the chicago auto show. i was sold:Banane14: never regret my decision. im a happy camper:woohoo:

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Hmmm..

I just bought my 2010 Foz XT Limited last week and I would like to add my bits on this one.

I do have that rattle issue that Subieoutlaw mentioned but apparently it is a minor issue and fix. The interior is a little more simple in design compared to the Acura RDX or even the Outback 3.6R limited. (But when I add my Pioneer Nav unit next month I may end up a better multimedia system than most cars on the market...see photo)

And some people have a bit of a problem with the square cup holders, the placement of the seat heaters switch, small spare tire (btw, easy and cheap fix) etc.

But I have to tell you that this car has a few things that none of the other 13 SUV/CUV's I test drove had(yes, I actually test drove that many...some at least 3 times). But to experience this on the Forester you will just have to test drive one, preferably an XT (turbo) model. Boy is this car fun to drive! Also, this car won awards for good reason. I have owned my first Subaru for only a week but it is true that Subaru owners LOVE their cars. I just spent the weekend detailing and pampering my car!?... can't say I ever did that on my Hyundai.

And in most cases I can provide a much longer list of issues for each car. (Example, the RDX to start is much more expensive to purchase and the ride is pretty stiff, the fuel economy after test driving and doing my research was horrible, blind spot issues.... you get the idea)

Every car I tested had features I loved and some features lacking. You should have a similar list and rank your preferences accordingly.

I did. And the Forester won.

D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
danykane, your Fozzy sure looks good all shiny and clean. I washed mine a couple of weeks ago, but it doesn't look like it. I'm going to wash and shine mine this long weekend:)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
Mm well.. the XT has basically the same interior quality as the X and XS, with the exception of leather, CD changers, etc. So we're talking about a 20k car in terms of interior quality. I guess if I was paying $32k, I'd like at least Acura RDX quality.. and that is miles above the XT. So yeah, I'd have to agree with your friend.
Actually RDX owners complain about interior quality as well :) lol it seems that no car is perfect ;)

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I have to disagree with you neoshi. Build for build, same same the RDX will be 39-40K compared to 30-31K for the XT (both with NAV). At least that is what I found when I compared the 2. It was between those 2 vehicles at purchase time and the difference in $$$ were big. I could have gotten the RDX as it was in my budget. I really like my XT and the vehicles before it in order were Lincoln LS V8 Sport (Loaded), BMW 7 series (only comes 1 way, mostly), MB E class (same as BMW) so yes I am used to a better build quality. All high end vehicles.

I tried something different with the FOZ and I like it. Its not any of those cars but for what it is, it has impressed me. Maybe I didn't expect much (doubt it) but I like it and got what I expected, it serves its purpose and I feel safe in it. It is fun to drive. Did I say I like it.
I agree with you on this 100% I had in the past MB and BMW and if you want interior quality than these high end cars will give it to you ;) but you will have problem finding one for under 30k lol ;)

But at the same time my Civic had a better interior quality than my Forester lol. But to be honest interior of forester is functional and good enough for the price point. I have no regreds.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Hmmm..

I just bought my 2010 Foz XT Limited last week and I would like to add my bits on this one.

I do have that rattle issue that Subieoutlaw mentioned but apparently it is a minor issue and fix. The interior is a little more simple in design compared to the Acura RDX or even the Outback 3.6R limited. (But when I add my Pioneer Nav unit next month I may end up a better multimedia system than most cars on the market...see photo)

And some people have a bit of a problem with the square cup holders, the placement of the seat heaters switch, small spare tire (btw, easy and cheap fix) etc.

But I have to tell you that this car has a few things that none of the other 13 SUV/CUV's I test drove had(yes, I actually test drove that many...some at least 3 times). But to experience this on the Forester you will just have to test drive one, preferably an XT (turbo) model. Boy is this car fun to drive! Also, this car won awards for good reason. I have owned my first Subaru for only a week but it is true that Subaru owners LOVE their cars. I just spent the weekend detailing and pampering my car!?... can't say I ever did that on my Hyundai.

And in most cases I can provide a much longer list of issues for each car. (Example, the RDX to start is much more expensive to purchase and the ride is pretty stiff, the fuel economy after test driving and doing my research was horrible, blind spot issues.... you get the idea)

Every car I tested had features I loved and some features lacking. You should have a similar list and rank your preferences accordingly.

I did. And the Forester won.

D.
Please let me know if Pionner fix their long start up problem.... Thanks.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Please let me know if Pionner fix their long start up problem.... Thanks.:biggrin:
I believe that was on the older X910BT and the 110BT. The newer 920BT and 120BT shouldn't have that issue....at least that's what was said at CES.

D.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts