Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '17 Touring is going to get a CVT drain and refill very soon. I have read, reread, re-re-read the different threads and have a good understanding of what I need and feel very confident that I can handle this . EXCEPT for one thing im a little confused with

After the drain and initial refill when it flows out (~4 qtrs in) .. I start the car, run it through R/N/D/N/R and back to part. Let it idle and add back the balance of what I took out (~1.5 to 2 more qts) until it just oozes out the fill plug.

I know SOA says it needs to be about 95* F fluid temp - BUT what happens if its under or over that temp?

Brian

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
Don't understand what you are saying. Did you already do in? Just not understanding the 1.5 to 2 quart thing. Temp of 95 is not that significant. If you drain 4 quarts you better have put in 4. Like I said..not understanding.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it boils down to for a cold drain and refill.

you typically drain 5.5 to 6.5 qts when cold (from reading the posts of ppl that did it).. You can put in about 4 qts back into it before it runs out. Then you have to start the car, run through the gears to get fluid all through the system. Then you can add that additional 1.5 to 2.5 qts

I have no way of knowing what temp the internal fluid is as I finish topping it off. What if the fluid temp is higher than the preferred 95*

Or is the system if at the correct level when it starts to ooze out as long as its at least 95* or higher?

How long does it take the fluid to heat up to 95* at an idle (parked)

Brian

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
797 Posts
Have you obtained a quote from a dealer?

I had the fluid changed on my Forester on Wednesday and the labour charge was only AU$150, about US$105. Risking $8k to save a hundred bucks seems brave to me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
781 Posts
I have no way of knowing what temp the internal fluid is as I finish topping it off. What if the fluid temp is higher than the preferred 95*

Or is the system if at the correct level when it starts to ooze out as long as its at least 95* or higher?

How long does it take the fluid to heat up to 95* at an idle (parked)

Brian
After cycling through the gears, the CVTF level is checked with the fluid at 95F-113F, the car level, and the engine running.

How long it takes to reach 95F-113F depends on your starting temperature, so there is no good answer.

Setting the level with the fluid too hot or too cold will result in an under or overfilled system.

Recommendation is to use the $$ saved by DIY to purchase a Scangauge ($140) so you can monitor the temperature and do the job right, or have the dealer do it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,201 Posts
I just cant see that much. Assuming 12 quarts and a temperature change of 40 F that is only an expansion of .2 quarts.

Makes no sense. Get it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts