Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been wanting to install footwell lighting that turns-on when the doors are open. Finally found some time this weekend and along with the good weather, I was able to add it to my 09 Foz.

Summary
1) Removed the overhead map-light unit and tapped the high (pink) cable and gnd-switched (blue) cable. I hooked up the lights in parallel to the map-light circuit that turns on when the doors are open.
2) To allow more control, I also added an in-line switch so I can disable it whenever I want and I hid the switch in the sunglasses holder. Given the position of the switch and the incoming wiring from the passenger side of the roof, it was slightly snug to fit all the wiring into the overhead unit.
3) To ease removal of the overhead unit in the future, I made a plug and socket for the wires going to the lights, so that the overhead unit can be separated from the wiring to the lights.
4) The wiring is routed along the top of the windshield, down the driver's side A pillar, in between the gray A-pillar plastic and the dash plastic, and then down the side (I had to remove the black plastic where the shock sensor would be installed) to the footwell area.
5) Mounted the LEDs with tie-wraps to the bulky cables already there.

Total cost: ~10US and 1.5hrs.

If I have more time, I may add the door-open footwell lighting to the back as well. I'll post photos when I get a chance. More and more lights... :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the photos...

Driver's side; passenger side; "hidden" switch in the sunglasses holder that allows me to disable if I want; wires coming out of overhead unit going to the lights (the switch in this picture allows me to control the overhead map lights when the doors are open).

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Touring 4 speed Automatic
43 Posts
you guys know that Subaru has a kit to do that (2009 Interior Illumination Lamp Kit - Impreza, Forester (H201SSC000 (BLUE); H201SSC100 (RED)) I ordered mine from a dealer for about $30 and installed it myself. See the Subaru technical web site for the install and details. (can't poste the link not enough posts on the forums!)

The kit looks really cool at night.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you guys know that Subaru has a kit to do that (2009 Interior Illumination Lamp Kit - Impreza, Forester (H201SSC000 (BLUE); H201SSC100 (RED)) I ordered mine from a dealer for about $30 and installed it myself. See the Subaru technical web site for the install and details. (can't poste the link not enough posts on the forums!)

The kit looks really cool at night.
That kit only illuminates when the headlights are on; I wanted to have some lighting when I open the door. I actually already have it installed as shown here

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,074 Posts
Nice job. Did you also swap the incandescent in the dome light for LEDs? If you kept the stock incandescent then you've added a bit of extra load to the dome light controller. Probably not enough to worry about, but since we know nothing about the actual specs of these it's prudent to be very cautious. They are $$$ to replace.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice job. Did you also swap the incandescent in the dome light for LEDs?
Thanks for the reminder, but I have not. I definitely want to replace the incandescents since they are a little too "warm" for me in color tone and I'd like to reduce my power "footprint" with the doors open.

For similar light output, I'm looking at the 3022xHP at superbrightleds, but they seem pricey. I may wait a little. :icon_cool:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,074 Posts
I suspect that you're OK for the moment since the LEDs aren't very power hungry, but since we don't know how much headroom is really available it would be good to get back down below the stock current load. We have had reports of members destroying the controller by trying to pull too much current out of it.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to be safe, I'll just turn-off the overhead map lights when the doors are open with the switch that I added. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 subaru forester 2.5
83 Posts
ill remove the dome light today and see what wires sit behind it. might not be same colors.

what does wiring in parallel and tapping mean?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,074 Posts
Wiring in parallel means connecting something to both sides of another thing so that they come on and off together and operate at the same voltage. Every thing you add in parallel will add to the amount of current that is consumed by the circuit.

Tapping means connecting to an existing location (wire, terminal, etc.) without disconnecting what was already connected there.

You might find some useful information at my Snippets of electrical information thread.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
38 Posts
Hey Javaperson,
I just about to install the footwell kit from Subaru in my 2010 forester. I want to modify the wiring slightly to have them come on only with the door switch (dome light would be ideal, but I don't want to disturb the pillar molding...looks like a pain). Did you look into which wire to tap from in yours for the door switch?

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
The puddle lights are connected directly across the dome light. The positive side for all of them uses blue/red stripe wire and goes to fuse #8. The negative side uses black/red stripe wire and ends up at the computer. The puddle connectors are in the wheel well under the plastic liner, but of course the wires run under the dash and may be easier to access, if you can find them. (I haven't done this mod yet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts