Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to run only foglights instead of using headlights. what do i all have to do to run only foglights??

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
Not sure this will help & you may need to register to view the pictures. Take a look at this thread. It's for '03+, but it should get you started, especially if you have the wiring diagram for your Forester. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to disconnect the stock wiring at the back of the fog lights and install your own relay, fuse, and switch.

That will also make it easy to return to stock once you get your equipment violation ticket.

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking about doing that also , but then i cant get the stock foglights off either... and why would you get a equipment violation ticket?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
You just take the stock connector off of the back of the lights, wrap it in tape, and wire your own circuit straight to the exposed terminal on the lights. Fuse, switch, relay, a bit of wire, and some crimp connectors, and you're there.

Equipment violation? Because it's probably illegal to drive like this. There are legally enforceable safety standards pertaining to lights.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
You just take the stock connector off of the back of the lights, wrap it in tape, and wire your own circuit straight to the exposed terminal on the lights. Fuse, switch, relay, a bit of wire, and some crimp connectors, and you're there.

Equipment violation? Because it's probably illegal to drive like this. There are legally enforceable safety standards pertaining to lights.
I see a lot of Chevy's that use the fogs as DRLs in my area.

Plus I disagree with creating a whole new circuit. I just went behind the fuse banel and cut the trigger wire for the fog lamps and spliced it into the trigger wire for the park lamps. That gave me full manual control. Just need a NC relay so they turn off with the Hella's I installed behind the grill.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I believe what you are asking is running the fog lamps with the switch in the "parking lamp" position correct? (because stock, you have to have the headlamps on to get the fogs on)

If this is the case, it's the exact setup that I'm currently running, and I love it. I pretty much keep my fogs on with my parking lamp switch always on so that I'm essentially using my fogs and DRL's.

First, I killed the DRL's by disconnecting the DRL box underneath the dash on the passenger side..

Second, I used Peaty's writeup for modifying the fog wiring to allow me to use the fogs independently from the headlamps......

http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-light-mod-03-t4703.html?t=4703

And the end result is me being able to run my fogs independently......

·
Registered
2005 2.0 XT 4EAT
83 Posts
I believe what you are asking is running the fog lamps with the switch in the "parking lamp" position correct? (because stock, you have to have the headlamps on to get the fogs on)
That's very interesting - on my '05 XT there is a separate panel switch for the fog lamps, so they can be operated independently of the headlights, as long as the main light switch on the stalk is in the parking lamp position. So I can have fog lights only, or fog lights plus low beam, or fog lights plus high beam.

In Singapore we never have fog, but we do have very heavy rain - so heavy that it can reduce visibility to the point where you would need fog lights! But I often use my fog lights as DRLs on days where it is cloudy or dull, or whenever I feel the need to make my vehicle more visible without using the main beams. So far I've never used the fog lamps in conjunction with the headlamps - too much light!

Lots of people here keep their fog lights on all the time because they think it makes the vehicle look cool, which is very irritating - we have such good street lighting that most of the time you could drive at night without ANY lights on and still see without too much trouble...

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts

If this is the case, it's the exact setup that I'm currently running, and I love it. I pretty much keep my fogs on with my parking lamp switch always on so that I'm essentially using my fogs and DRL's.

First, I killed the DRL's by disconnecting the DRL box underneath the dash on the passenger side..

Second, I used Peaty's writeup for modifying the fog wiring to allow me to use the fogs independently from the headlamps......

http://www.scoobymods.com/fog-light-mod-03-t4703.html?t=4703

And the end result is me being able to run my fogs independently......

i hope you submitted this pic for the calander. very nice shot indeed

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
319 Posts
First off, your setup looks awesome:rock: - I'd really like to do something similar if i can get it all figured out... One question, since your fogs come on with your parking lights, can you ever have both your fogs and driving lights on at the same time?

I took a look through Peaty's writeup and it sounds like his just ties the fogs into the parking light switch, so wouldn't that mean when you rotate that switch to driving lights, the fogs/parking lights would go off?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
What do the Daytime Running Lights relay and module do?
I dont even have DRLs (or maybe they just dont work)
If I unplug the module nothing happens.
If I unplug the relay, The low beams dont work at all
...but then I can run my fogs with just the parking lights.
I know it is the correct relay, by color and pin layout.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
367 Posts
What do the Daytime Running Lights relay and module do?
I dont even have DRLs (or maybe they just dont work)
If I unplug the module nothing happens.
If I unplug the relay, The low beams dont work at all
...but then I can run my fogs with just the parking lights.
I know it is the correct relay, by color and pin layout.
I followed the wiring diagram and discovered the DRL resistor.
It was absent, I guess a previous owner had removed it.
That is why my DRLs didn't work (I didn't want them anyway)

I did the fog light mod as described by Peaty.
Left my DRL relay plugged in as that disabled with my low beams when unplugged.
I unplugged my DRL module b/c it is useless to have operating
if DRLs are disabled via resistor delete anyway.

All works well now. My fogs are independent! :woohoo:

Now I just need to clean/sand/polish my headlight lenses.
Hopefully they are not to far gone and I dont need to buy new ones.
But it looks I may need new ones b/c they are horrific.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts