Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '05 XS that I just bought and neither of the fog lights is operational. At night, the fog light switch doesn't illuminate until you turn it on and then just the green light comes on. Could this be a bad switch or do I just need to replace both bulbs?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Um, your headlights have to be completely on in order for your fog lights to work. In other words, you must twist the headlight knob all the way forwards then push the foglight button - trust me, I hate it too..

(and if that doesn't work replace the bulbs!)

·
Registered
04 XT
75 Posts
that's funny i have the same issue. first the right passenger went out, but the fog switch was illuminated and now the right side drivers side doesn't work??? no illumination on the fog switch.. any clues? sorry for the thread jack..

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
There are two separate lights inside the switch. One comes on when the dash illumination lights are on. Its wiring is totally separate from anything else having to do with the fog lights. The second light (brighter) comes on when the fog light switch is on (and the headlights are on low beam). If it doesn't light AND the fog lights don't light, this is probably a symptom of a problem in the fog light circuitry itself.

But it's not at all out of the question that both fog lights might have blown out. Murphy's Law has not been repealed! Especially since the owners manual says, with regard to the fog lights, "See the dealer," it could be that the previous owner just didn't bother.

After trying both the "grope from the rear" and the "full frontal" approaches to changing the bulb, I became a believer in the latter. Here's a link to Peaty's post at scoobymods which describes the process. You'll have to register there (free) to see the pix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts