Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Does anyone know what size (H4, H3....) the stock fog lights are on the 04 FXT? I have the yellow rock blocker film but it does not make the light yellow enough for me. I want to make a true fog light if you will and I am thinking that an actual yellow bulb will do the trick. I think Peaty might have done this and I remember reading something about it along time ago but can not find anything now.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
H3 55w is standard bulb.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
I don't have the file handy here but a true fog lamp is white since there is no proof that yellow is better or worse. A fog lamp is defined by the beam pattern and not the colour. I'm in Orlando airport now but when I get home I'll post the file, it's interesting. Anyway to your question, the bulb is an H3 and if you want yellow you can get the gold bulbs, I have those in my Forester ( I just like the yellow myself) and just put some in the B9. How to change it out here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3291

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,835 Posts
Peaty's directions are good. The only thing missing is a list of some of the special words you might wish to utter while performing this gruesome task. Peaty must have either stripped his Forester to take those pix, or he used a periscope. You do this job almost totally by feel.

One point in the annotations to Peaty's pix bears emphasis: the wire faces toward the right of the car when the bulb is properly aligned to go back into the slot. That's no guarantee that the bulb will successfully lodge itself in position, but it's certain that it won't if the wire is facing in any other direction.

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
I just did the bulbs in our B9 and it's a good thing my mom was not around. Very rarely do I get to the point of throwing tools, I was very close. I first tried to do it by feel and after I had the old bulb out I realized there was no way to get the new one in. I had to remove the lamp assy, and that's where the fun began. In the end I found a trick to getting it out but until that time it was no fun.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21499#post21499

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, I just ordered them. I can't wait to install them based on your comments. This really does not sound fun at all.

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I finally get around to ordering them only to get a message back stating that they are on back order! Go figure!

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
White is a combination of all the colours in spectrum...

Yellow is a single component... Yellow has one of the longest wavelengths in the colour spectrum... so what that means is it tends to reflect off of water, or snow, or rain less... so visibility is better with yellow... white contains yelow, but also blue, which has one of the shortest wavelenths, which tends to cause a lot more glare..

that is why a lot of those street lights are yellow, or have yellowish tinges...

Get the yellow bulb, should be less glare in bad weather.. but it will look dimmer in good weather since it's still a 55watt bulb, but you are filtering out the other colours...

·
The Modfather
8,052 Posts
lizardspeed said:
many street lamps are yellow just because of their chemistry.
True they use sodium vapor and they are half the price to run, that is the reason.

If you have a properly designed bulb that transmits selective yellow (not a filter or lens cover of yellow) it seems you will get some benefit, but even then the real world conditions can negate the benefit. If you look at the last PDF there is a lot of info there.

Some good info here too:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Cut and paste from above link:

So, what explains the persistent subjective preference amongst experienced poor-weather drivers for yellow fog lamps, despite decades of white fog lamp prevalence? Selective-yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought. That effect is known as Rayleigh Scattering, and is why the sky appears blue. However, it occurs only when the droplet size is equal or smaller than the wavelength of the light, which is certainly not the case with ordinary fog, rain or snow. Roadway Fog droplets are several orders of magnitude larger than visible light wavelengths—no Rayleigh Scattering.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
Ill vouch for Yellow Headlights and being able to see better at night and bad weather gives everything a contrast

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peaty said:
True they use sodium vapor and they are half the price to run, that is the reason.

If you have a properly designed bulb that transmits selective yellow (not a filter or lens cover of yellow) it seems you will get some benefit, but even then the real world conditions can negate the benefit. If you look at the last PDF there is a lot of info there.

Some good info here too:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

Cut and paste from above link:
Wow, this turned into the Technobable thread!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
DAMWAGN said:
Wow, this turned into the Technobable thread!
I think the request for babble started in the first post of this thread, note the bold emphasis I added :lol: :
DAMWAGN said:
I want to make a true fog light if you will and I am thinking that an actual yellow bulb will do the trick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts