Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a pretty simple operation but decided to document it anyway.

With the proper tools you should be able to do this in under a half hour.

What you will need:

8mm Socket / ratchet - To remove the two lower screws

9006 Replacement bulbs - caution, at no time should your bare fingers touch the glass capsule of the bulb. This will deposit oils from your finger on the glass and make hot spots; the bulbs get very very hot, this will shorten the life of the bulb. If you touch it by mistake. Use a lint free cloth and some Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the bulb.

Optional

Flat blade screwdriver
- pull down lower tab of the plastic grill (fingers work too)

Penetrating oil - to use on the bolts, the threads I believe are set in plastic but the front part is metal on metal.

Vinyl gloves - To use when handling the bulbs

To start remove the plastic grill, this is done by pulling down on the lower tab section. I was able to do it in the summer with my fingers but now that it's cold out it was easier to do with a flat blade screw driver. Swing the bottom out and then lift up a little to release the top. The top part hooks of the back of the fog lamp.

With the grill off, remove the two lower screws. There are Phillips head slots but use an 8mm socket it will be a lot easier. Mine were very tight and there was no way to get it with a screwdriver. Note: There is a Phillips head screw between the two 8mm bolts, this is the up/down aiming screw. Do not turn or remove this screw!

With the two screws out, you can remove the lens assembly. The top of the assembly has a tab that slides into a slot on on the vehicle. The assembly will need to drop a little then it will come out.

The assembly is attached with a wire, press the tab on the plug (see pic) to release it.

Rotate out the old bulb, notice marks on the back showing the proper direction.

Put the new bulb in place, note that it will only go in one way, there are three pedals that are keyed to the receptacle. The bulb should rotate and lock in place with minimal force. If it seems difficult to lock in, you most likely have it positioned wrong.

Put the harness back on the bulb and put the assembly back in place. Be sure to get the tab on the top of the assembly in the slot on the vehicle.

Before buttoning everything up check that the bulbs are working!

When replacing the bottom screws, make them snug but don't go crazy tight or you will strip the opening. It's only plastic it's screwing into.

That's about it.

Attachments

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did not need to replace an out bulb but was upgrading the existing ones. I've have very good luck in the past with the Philips X-tremeVision bulbs. Good quality as you can see.

Peaty 1-10-15

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts