Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement fob for my '03 Forester. The only one it came with is the balloon-shaped one with four buttons--lock, unlock, trunk and panic. It's marked NHVWB1U711. The trunk button does nothing, and I assume that the system has been re-programmed and that this isn't the proper remote. I'd like to have a pair of matching fobs, but the ones I see on Ebay that are marked as working on the '03 are rectangular in shape and have two buttons, one red and one blue. (Alpine System) Was there a change in the frequencies of the remotes between the '03 design and the '05 design? Will I be able to program my car to accept the code from any remote from '01 to the present? I checked the "Subaru Keyless Entry" site and it didn't answer this question for me.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
The two are interchangeable. My wife's 2005 Impreza came with the two-button version of the teardrop shaped remote. We swapped it for the 2003 style because the buttons were too sensitive. The even earlier ones of the same shape but two gray buttons will also work. That's how I recognize which remote is for the Impreza and which for the Forester.

cars101 is the best reference for info about remotes.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
That very strange! My '07 has the balloon shaped fob & I hate it! It feels so flimsy & cheap. I prefer the one on our '03. It has a much better feel & it's easier to operate. Unfortunately, the '03 won't work on the '07 :frown:

It sounds like the previous owner replaced the original remote. I'd guess you could purchase an earlier (better) remote & program it to your Forester. :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
The two are interchangeable. My wife's 2005 Impreza came with the two-button version of the teardrop shaped remote. We swapped it for the 2003 style because the buttons were too sensitive. The even earlier ones of the same shape but two gray buttons will also work. That's how I recognize which remote is for the Impreza and which for the Forester.

cars101 is the best reference for info about remotes.
I'd love to have the '03 style on my '07, but my research says the earlier style wasn't interchangeable to the later models with the immobilizer. :confused:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
There's no immobilizer on my wife's Impreza, so it's essentially identical with my Forester.

·
Administrator
39,446 Posts
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. :frown: With the '07 fob, you have to enter the numbers that are inside of the fob... which the earlier model Forester fob doesn't have, so you're screwed! :mad:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,950 Posts
Nope, nothing of the sort. No numbers at all. The usual routine of turning the key on and off a bunch of times, scratching your nose, pressing lock twice, beeping the horn, pressing unlock 5 times, getting out and running twice around the car clockwise, and playing the third selection from a Beatles CD. All within 45 seconds. Or something like that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts