Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 2.5X Premium
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to reprogram my teardrop fob if all I do is replace the battery? Is it as easy as just popping the old one out, and popping the new one in?

I'd rather not have to make a trip to the dealer if I can take care of this myself.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
06 XTen
71 Posts
I also got a couple of batteries off fleabay, as the distance the lock/unlock worked from was very poor. New battery=absolutely no difference in range whatsoever! I still need to be within 6 feet of the car.....no biggie, but still a tad annoying.

Back on topic, just undo the screw, pop out the old battery, and pop the new one in. No re-programming needed.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
I also got a couple of batteries off fleabay, as the distance the lock/unlock worked from was very poor. New battery=absolutely no difference in range whatsoever! I still need to be within 6 feet of the car.....no biggie, but still a tad annoying.

Back on topic, just undo the screw, pop out the old battery, and pop the new one in. No re-programming needed.
The distance problem is not going to be solved in any easy way. But I was drooling over a viper system. 2000 feet distance :crazy:

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,801 Posts
Some members have reported problems with cheapo Chinese batteries. It's worth the expense of a few extra pennies every few years to spring for the real thing.

And as noted before, you don't have to do any sort of reprogramming when you change batteries. For this series of remotes, it isn't the fob that gets programmed; it's the Forester! Every fob has its own unique ID, set forever at the factory. What the programming process does is tell the Forester the IDs of the fobs that are allowed to work with it. The Forester's memory has four storage slots. After that, it's first in - first out. So if you ever do lose a fob and are concerned that somebody could use it against you, just program the replacement (and any other legitimate ones) in there for a total of four times, and you've kicked out the lost one.

·
Registered
2008 2.5X Premium
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After changing the battery and trying again, the unlock button still didn't work. Took the fob apart to discover that the unlock "node" had come off the circuit plate, so it looks like i'll need a whole new fob. Since I'm not gonna pay $400 for 2 new fobs at the dealer, i've got a few questions about replacing them:

We have 2 fobs (one still works fine), do we need 2 new ones and reprogram both of them?

Will the dealer reprogram fobs from ebay, or will they only do "Subaru OEM" replacement fobs? For the $40 they quoted me for reprogram, I'll gladly let them do it...just won't pay $153 apiece for a new FOBs...

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,801 Posts
Don't pay a penny for reprogramming! It's a super-simple DIY job. See cars101 or the owners manual for details.

And by all means, buy from eBay. Dealer prices are outrageous. If it looks like either of these it will work in your 2008. I'd prefer the older style on the right, as the newer one is subject to false triggering. Buttons can be both gray, or blue & orange. It might also be cheaper, as people tend to believe that they've become obsolete.

And no, you don't have to replace the existing fob that still works. There's room for the ID of four fobs in the Forester's memory: first in, first out. Worst that might happen is that somehow you kick the ID of the remaining good fob out of memory when you put the new one in. In which case, just program it again. Repeating what I said above, nothing you do in the programming process affects the fob; it only stores that fob's ID in the Forester, up to a total of four IDs (which do not have to be unique).

·
Registered
2006 Forester, LLBean 4EAT
164 Posts
It is just that easy. You can replace the battery in a couple minutes. I believe it is a cr2032 battery
I know this is an old thread. But I just changed the battery in the teardrop remote of my 2006 Forester. The required button cell is actually a thinner CR2025 (20mm diameter, 2.5mm thick). That said, I only had a CR2032 on hand (20mm diameter, 3.2mm thick), and did manage to squeeze it in there. The plastic case just closed with a slight gap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts