Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached pic....

So I have changed my oil in my 09 first at 250 miles with stock oil and filter which was a freebie from the dealer, and then again about 1800 miles with a mobil 1 filter and mobil 1 5w-30. I have checked the oil level multiple times since the change and have never noticed anything on the dipstick. Decided to change again last night at 4000 miles on the odo as I am driving 2000 miles this weekend. So the oil only has roughly just over 2000 miles on it. When I pulled the engine oil cap I noticed this yellow almost foam looking liquid at the top. At first I freaked thinking it was antifreeze, as I blew the head gaskets right out of my old outback. I took clean paper towel and soaked it all up and put it under the light and it just appeared to be oil but foamy.

I did do 2 top speed pulls close to the house on the interstate before opening the cap, as I like to get the motor hot before changing the oil. I am wondering if that could have foamed it alone. I sent a pic to my buddy who is an avid sti guru....and he said...

"Dude really! there was just a discussion about this yellow goup being in the PCV lines that are fed off of the crankcase. It's like oil vapor, water and fuel gouping together. But with the castrol in my 08 I have not seen it once. I did run mobile in my wrx when I first got it then like 20 people told me to stop. I think sometime after that I found the yellow sludge and cleaned it out of my pcv lines and never saw it since. "

he then pointed me to here.... Why do I need a PCV valve or an oil seperator? - NASIOC

Scary stuff, glad I switched to the castrol. Anyone else seen this or heard of this before? Hoping this is not a sign of what others have seen on this thread as I am driving 2000 miles this weekend. I have heard from others that mobil gets broke down a lot quicker from turbo's then most, but lubricates well initially. I have heard the castrol wears better, who knows, but at 2000 miles not even dino oil should foam like that I would think???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run Rotella, never saw that...but it looks like moisture, which is common in cars that are not driven at operating temps for any distance.

And don't shoot the messenger, but I remember reading/being told that there are a lot of reported turbo failures (or was it spun mains?) in the WRX that were run on Mobile 1 oil...that's the main reason I chose Rotella.

I have not heard a peep from the dealer about my car, will call them at noon.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Hey EEK, you hijacked the thread!
#1, you are changing the oil too much - you'll get MORE wear from a long-life oil by changing it out too early. Really! Must be a XT with the 4K OCI. The oil foaming primary cause is over-fill - how much oil did you put in and how much did you get out? BTW M1 and castrol are phoney synthetics (as are most all the majors in the US) so not sure if you are buying yourself anything other than better arctic cold pumpability and slightly longer drain capability. Yes, I concede that the HTO6 spec may be helpful in a turbo as long as antiwear isnt overly compromised.

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run Rotella, never saw that...but it looks like moisture, which is common in cars that are not driven at operating temps for any distance.

And don't shoot the messenger, but I remember reading/being told that there are a lot of reported turbo failures (or was it spun mains?) in the WRX that were run on Mobile 1 oil...that's the main reason I chose Rotella.

I have not heard a peep from the dealer about my car, will call them at noon.
That would make sense, my wife has a half mile drive to my sons school in the morning, drops him off, then a half mile to work, a half mile home at lunch, on and on, torture I know, but I try to get it out for good trips every weekend if possible. I am going to talk her into letting me take to work a couple time a week to help, lol. Yeah, my wrx buddies swear against mobil 1 the more I check their forum.

·
Banned
09 Forester XT
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey EEK, you hijacked the thread!
#1, you are changing the oil too much - you'll get MORE wear from a long-life oil by changing it out too early. Really! Must be a XT with the 4K OCI. The oil foaming primary cause is over-fill - how much oil did you put in and how much did you get out? BTW M1 and castrol are phoney synthetics (as are most all the majors in the US) so not sure if you are buying yourself anything other than better arctic cold pumpability and slightly longer drain capability. Yes, I concede that the HTO6 spec may be helpful in a turbo as long as antiwear isnt overly compromised.
Didn't mean to threadjack, my apologies, should have started a new one. I only dumped the oil this early as I am doing a long drive this weekend and will be towing a uhaul trailer. I usually let it drip out for a couple hours to get every drop out. 4.5 in with the filter, 4.5 out in the pan. Mine is indeed an xt but the interval states 3750 on the 09's. I checked multiple times and was never above the top notch even when hot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I changed mine at 1k initially, and have changed every 3k since...until the current problems. I will start the new block off in the same manor.

IMO, the main reason they state short intervals (again, in my opinion) is that the factory oil is conventional, not synthetic; and it tends to degrade pretty fast when subjected to the added heat of the turbo. Add to that the fact that *most* of us bought a turbo car to DRIVE because we enjoy the added power, and that further adds stress to the oil. Not to mention the coking problem known to plug the filter at the turbo, that causes the turbo to burn up.

I would think a quality synthetic would eliminate the need for the short OCIs, but I don't mind so much on this car since the wife only puts on about 10k per year. I could do extended OCIs and UOAs, but its just not worth it, and I will continue to run Rotella 5w40 on short changes (the cost is about the same as extended intervals and UOAs).

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Didn't mean to threadjack, my apologies, should have started a new one. Mine is indeed an xt but the interval states 3750 on the 09's. I checked multiple times and was never above the top notch even when hot.
Huh? How do you threadjack your own thread? Don't listen to him. He likes to post incorrect information about oil change intervals without checking what kind of car the O.P. has. :shrug: You're correct with the 3750 intervals for an XT.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Huh? How do you threadjack your own thread? Don't listen to him. He likes to post incorrect information about oil change intervals without checking what kind of car the O.P. has. :shrug: You're correct with the 3750 intervals for an XT.
Dont listen to me? #1 This thread was split off - it was hijacked., #2 The oP did not state what vehicle he owned - I guessd XT and guessed 4k OCI which is SA 3750. My well considered opinion is that OCi at under 4K on a real synth is too frequent unless short cold tripper. So whats your problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts