Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m replaceing clutch and p p, on my 2001 forester. I had the flywheel turned and they must have taken to much off, cause now there`s only about 1/16 of an inch between the flywheel bolts and the clutch springs....so I think I`ll just have that inner disk that the bolts go though turned down 1/16 of an inch so I`ll have 1/8 of an inch clearence.....now I know why Subaru doesn`t recoment turning the flywheel.
So turning that inner disk 1/16 of an inch wont hurt will it? It`s about 5/8 thick it seems.
Thanks,
Roger

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
A properly turned flywheel will result in having all the mounting locations, friction surface having the same amount of material removed. Meaning every thing in relation to the pressure plate will remain unchanged. IE: If you had an 1/8" of clearance before machining you will have an 1/8" of clearance after machining.

I wouldn't be modifying the PP, the machinist needs to correct/replace the flywheel if they made a mistake or botched the job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to the distance between the turned surface and the flywheel bolts leaving only 1/16 of an inch between the clutch springs and the flywheel bolts.
And do you know what the ft.lbs on tourking the flywheel bolts are?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Wow, who did the machining?

All resurfacing is, literally, just skimming the surface off of the friction pad, on the order of thousandths of an inch. All you want to do is ensure it's flat, and that the whole surface is machined.

Taking 1/16th off is irresponsible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts