1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone else fly fish in AB and BC?

If so, any good fishing holes between Calgary and Campbell River?

I need something to do while the mother in law is around. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
Oyster river and Black creek..... and of course Quinsam and Campbell!

You don't have to go anywhere, just stay in CR :)

I just started learning fly fishing!! and just bought a TFO rod

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Take the fishing highway?

Lots of spots around these parts.. do you have your backroads mapbooks ready? Have you seen that they make a fishing edition with depth maps for lakes?

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
^ wow.
I so need to go there one day...
Sorry to highjack - on the same topic: anyone knows good spots around Ottawa or in the 1000s island area?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Always wanted to try this. I can appreciate this sport.
This shop Grindstone is close to where I live.
A member at my former place of work (HGCC ) was very active in fly fishing even when forced to use a walker to get around. John also taught people how to tie flies, he must have been good because he had guests from near and as far away as New Zealand come to visit him and fish. He had a father and daughter from South Africa visit once for lessons and to fish with John, the daughter who was maybe 15-16 was genuinely interested and carried a lot of the conversation surprisingly.
When he broke his hip and couldn't access his wines in his basement cellar, I categorized them in a book so he could choose a wine and anyone could find it in the racking. I couldn't accept any money for doing this for such a great man, so one day he surprised me with a framed set of British Columbia Steelhead flies. I showed our Pro this and he said I had about 200 dollars worth of flies, mounted and framed. Seems John's flies had been bought and traded for many years and when I stopped into the shop recently in Waterdown to have a look, I mentioned I had known John before he passed away, the owner and customers spoke so highly of his kindness and sharing of information and skills.
Just thought I'd share this. Definitely a unique experience. I'll try to post a pic of the flies.

·
Registered
2002 forester s
12 Posts
I took casting lessons in Castlegar last year, but there is a difference between casting on a soccer field and in the river :). I recently moved back to the West Kootenays (Trail) and there are some good spots along the Columbia and supposedly good Walleye at the Pend Oreille. Last night some guys at the river said black ants are working well right now, but damned if I can catch any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts