Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester X AW Manual
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, recently decided to replace the fluids in my forester (03 MT 2.0X European). I would be very grateful for some advice on the fluids required. I've read a lot of posts here but most seem to be for AT US models, so I'm not sure if they differ a lot. Anywho...

Engine Oil I'm OK with, 5W-30 fully synth, and Dot 3 for brake and clutch. The two I'm struggling with are the diff/transmission oils and the power steering fluid (if that's even necessary). Would I be correct in assuming the diffs/transmission use the same fluid (75W-90)?

As far as quantity goes, I believe its 4 litres of engine oil, almost 5 litres for the diffs/transmission, but I am unsure as to the rest.

Also I assume it is best to replace filters/seals? I realise this is quite long winded, but would greatly appreciate any advice no matter how brief!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
217 Posts
Hello, recently decided to replace the fluids in my forester (03 MT 2.0X European). I would be very grateful for some advice on the fluids required. I've read a lot of posts here but most seem to be for AT US models, so I'm not sure if they differ a lot. Anywho...

Engine Oil I'm OK with, 5W-30 fully synth, and Dot 3 for brake and clutch. The two I'm struggling with are the diff/transmission oils and the power steering fluid (if that's even necessary). Would I be correct in assuming the diffs/transmission use the same fluid (75W-90)?

As far as quantity goes, I believe its 4 litres of engine oil, almost 5 litres for the diffs/transmission, but I am unsure as to the rest.

Also I assume it is best to replace filters/seals? I realise this is quite long winded, but would greatly appreciate any advice no matter how brief!
From US service info:

Manual Trans oil capacity = 3.5Litres (3.7 US Qt, 3.1 Imp Qt) of GL-5 rated oil; drain plug torque = 44 +/- 3 Nm (4.5 +/- 0.3 kg-m, 32.5 +/- 2.2 ft-lb)

Rear Differential capacity = 0.8 Litres (0.8 US Qt, 0.7 Imp Qt) of GL-5 rated oil; filler plug torque = 49.0 +/- 9.8 Nm (5.0 +/- 1.0 kg-m; 36.2 +/- 7.2 ft-lb); drain plug torque = same as filler plug

Power Steering Fluid = 0.3 Litres (0.3 US Qt; 0.3 Imp Qt) oil tank; 0.7 Litres (0.7 US Qt; 0.6 Imp Qt) total capacity. Oil type is ATF DEXRON IIE or III.

Recommended manufacturers for power steering fluid: BP, CALTEX, CASTROL, MOBIL, SHELL, TEXACO.

If the drain plugs have washers/seals on them (most likely on the transmission) I would replace them -- I didn't see any washers/seals on the rear diff parts diagram.

Sent you a PM.

HTH,

Regards,
paul...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts